What's new

Remastered Mellencamp (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Some how I didn't know Mercury remastered and rereleased Mellencamp's catalog. Anyone picked any of these up? Opinions? Scarecrow would be my main interest, as it sounds very thin.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Haven't heard any of these Kyle, but having recently pulled out my original copies of "Big Daddy" and "Whenever We Wanted", I was pleasantly surprised at the sound quality. Kenny's drums sound incredible.

I would be surprised if a typical remastering (read: Loud, Compressed, Maximized) would be helpful.

Brian

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Brian,

thanks. I agree. I don't have problems with any of his albums past Scarecrow. From "The Lonesome Jubilee" on, I think the cds sound fine. Scarecrow is very thin, so I was wondering if the remaster added some low end without over compressing the audio.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm behind on Mellencamp and am planning to flesh out what I already have by going back as far as about Uh Huh and getting a lot of these remasters in basically chron order.

I was probably going to skip Scarecrow and Jubilee though as I have the MoFi Ultradiscs of those albums and I'd tend to think MoFi's work would compete quite well with a major label remaster done even years later. I'd be very interested in comparative s.q. comments from anyone who has either of those and the UMG remaster. (As of this typing, looks like Amazon Marketplace has copies of both MoFis for under $15.)

The disc's in storage right now or I'd quote the liner notes verbatim but Scarecrow is the one wherein, upon the MoFi's release, Mellencamp commented that the album was originally mixed with radio play in mind and that the Ultradisc's release provided an opportunity to correct that.

Kyle, perhaps you could pick up a copy of the Words & Music hits package (Marketplace copies as cheap as $3.69 right now), which I'd surmise is culled from the same remastered tracks, to get a sense of the s.q. of the entire remastered discography?

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks