What's new

Remarkable Songbird Video (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Okay, I know I promised everyone here that I'd never start another sucky thread, but this is just too remarkable to keep to myself. This video was brought to my attention by the Bad Astronomer. It's a video of David Attenborough with the Lyrebird.

You can watch it here.

Yes, it's for real.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's amazing. Especially its ability to mimic, with fidelity, manmade sounds like camera shutters, motor drives, and chainsaws.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm sorry, Sam. I run Linux, not Windows, so I had no idea that site had any Active-X component whatsoever. Had I known, I would not have linked to it.

However, I was able to view the video just fine in Linux (using MPlayer), so Active-X is apparently not required to view the video. Can you not get to the video with Active-X turned off?

-----------------------------------

And the chainsaw mimic even included the sounds of springing guy wires and the crackling wood of falling trees. Unbelievable.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That was pretty amazing!! I was able to watch without accepting the Active X control. I think anyway, I just closed the dialog box asking to accept an Active X control....?

Anyway - really cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks