What's new

Remanufactured Harmon Kardon (1 Viewer)

donLK

Auditioning
Are there any downsides to ordering a remanufactured HK?

Which would you choose between the following 3?

1) Pioneer 1015TX (New)
2) Harman Kardon AVR 430-Z (Remanufactured)
3) Harman Kardon AVR 520-Z (Remanufactured)

Thanks for your help.

Don

david gene

Auditioning
I wouldn't buy another HK. New or remanufactured. I've had 2 many problems with them. Look into Onkyo & Yamaha.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
And now from the other camp -

4 HK refurb purchases, one failure. Fixed locally under warranty in 3 days.

The DVD changer is noisy, both mechanically and RFI, but the pic and sound are fine.

John S

Senior HTF Member
To funny, we all have our opinions...

I'd go with the one you feel will deliver the most real output power between those three.

I have sure come to love the Yamaha 5890 for it's price -vs performance bang for buck these days. I feel it performs more on par with the $1K AVR's out there going for around 1/2 of that.

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
John S - Is 5890 really available for around $500? Seems to be 799+ at the authorized dealers like JR,B&H, etc. Also, I've always heard that Yamaha's YPAO system is pretty inaccurate. Wonder if your experience was any different.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
At least between the 430 and the 520, I'd go with the 430. The wattage is probably a little lower, but the newer models have more features.

I myself have a refurb 330 from Harman Audio's ebay story (great price), upgraded from a 125 bought new at Circuit City in 2002. I've been very happy with my 2 HK receivers and have had no problems with their performance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
SummyD,
I'm an installer, I don't use any of the auto cal programs available, I do it the old fashond way. :) Ok, I have used it, but always go back and set the level with a meter and rarely ever take the sub cross it chooses, ect..ect.. Still probably does help with room EQ though.

My last one I ordered in for a customer was here:
http://www.drprojector.com/itemdesc....Y36&ic=HTR5890

With free shipping of all things, but I see they list them as backordered now. It was listed as in-stock when we placed the order. They may not be factory authorized though, I didn't check, just was attempting to meet the customers budget.

Before that one, I was getting them at:
http://www.tvsdepot.com/product.php?id=26164&ref=prcgrb

Like $29 shipping, but always shipped fast and always seemed to have stock. Yamaha told me they would warranty TVs Deopt as I emailed them on it.

It's really an impressive piece at that price point. the video switching is extremely robust and versitile.

DavidAMennie

Stunt Coordinator
"Look into Onkyo & Yamaha."

Why, so you can have a receiver that doesn't put out it's published power?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a 520 and a 1014. The 1014 has way more features, but the 520 has more power and a better sound to me. For movies, I'd go with the 1015. For music, the 520. If I could only keep one it would be the 520. Features are nice but sound quality is more important to me. Of the three you mentioned, the 430. Also see: Yamaha V657, Onkyo 602/603 and Marantz which I will probably get to replace the Pioneer some day.

david gene

Auditioning
"Why, so you can have a receiver that doesn't put out it's published power?"

No,so I can have something more reliable.

;)

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
You should definetly go with H/K, they are extremely reliable and the best sounding units available for the price (espacially with music).
I own 1 AVR430, 2 PA2000, 2 Citation 24 and 1 Citation 21 and use them for several hours every day with no poblem whatsoever.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Since most of us only use the first 10 or so watts, I'd settle for a receiver that sounded best to me. Even if the Yamaha were to produce less than the stated power, one can still perform a proper comparison.

Yamaha RX-V657 @ 60 watts = Harman Kardon AVR-430 @ 60 watts. Then, you just have to figure out which one is best for you. Also, I think the response that Onkyo offered in the past for their poor power ratings when tested, was that their power limiting circuit (or something of that nature) was causing the receiver to shut down before hitting its rated power range. Kind of like what Pioneer is going through now with their Pioneer 74 - which, under tests, is putting out less than the rated power.

Who's right? I'm not sure. Maybe, both of them. However, until the battle gets settled, let your ears decide. :)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I put remote control comfort / ease of use first.

No, I don't like to spend disposable income on universal remotes.

Then comes simplicity in user interface.

If it passes those tests, then I get into how it sounds. Intellegent design should be about ergonomics AND sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks