Remake this: "The Return of the Living Dead"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Allred, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Hey gang, head on over to my ROTLD page at

http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/ROTLD.html

click on the news section and scroll down to the bottom of the page. I put together a quickie poll asking if you'd like to see a remake of the horror classic "The Return of the Living Dead." I give a few reasons why I would like to see one made as well but I'd like some numbers from the fans.

Don't dismiss the idea without thinking first though. Post your thoughts here but I'd REALLY appreciate you taking a minute to vote in the poll. Thanks!

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........................I'll say no more. [​IMG]

3. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Only if Clu Gulager is available.

4. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I'd rather not see any more remakes, but I'd say this one probably will be sooner rather than later.

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I don't want this re-made, either. To put it this way: For every one "The Fugitive", you get 10 "The Flintstones". It's probably not the best paralell, but I just don't want to see remakes, but since they will happen, I want them kept to a bare minimum.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

There HAVE TO BE more original ideas out there.

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I wish they had remade the first before making parts 4 and 5. I haven't seen 5 yet but after viewing part 4, I'd take ten remakes of the original.

7. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Sorry, I'm getting sick of all the retreads. I think a remake is only appropriate for a film that didn't work or didn't have the budget to do its concept right. But, films that got it right the first time, like "Return of the Living Dead" don't need a remake.

8. BrettGallman

Agreed. But then again, that's why only successful things get re-made: they're proven commodities, and live off the strength of their name alone in many cases.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm actually surprised that you want a remake, Michael, I know this movie runs in your veins. [​IMG]

As for me, I don't think so, I mean how can you top perfection?

10. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

The only good thing about a remake would be if they released a special edition DVD of the original because of it. I can't say I'd see a remake if they were to do one, though I'd probably have more respect for a remake than I do for 4 and 5. I usually don't care about crappy sequels tarnishing the franchise name (though I quite liked 3) and hate the concept of remakes, I'll make an acception here and say in this series, nothing can get as bad and disrespectful as 4 and 5, even a remake.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

The first film was so stupid and jokey that maybe a remake can be done seriously [​IMG]

12. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    "SEND MORE REMAKES."

13. Michael Allred

Michael

You're right, I DO love the film and that's the reason why I want a remake.

The franchise has been completely destroyed by inept, awful and ridiculous sequels that had virtually nothing in common with the original other than sharing the same title.

The only way to bring Dan O'Bannon's true ideas back is to give the original a remake......re-start the franchise, a "Living Dead Begins" if you will. Stay true to O'Bannon's "rules" while giving it a facelift for the 21st century (nothing major mind you.) Then maybe we can get some decent sequels that will take what O'Bannon created and run with it....and yes, a special edition DVD of the original would be a good thing I think. They (the studios) do it all the time, movie gets remade, the original gets re-released on DVD in a spiffy new edition.

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'd actually like to see a theatrical re-release of the original instead of a remake. I see what your saying here, Michael, but I don't think that we'll necessarily get better sequels because of a remake.

Besides, IMO, the damage done to the series by RotD 4 & 5 cannot be undone or forgotten unfortunately, a remake won't help matters. What COULD be done and could work is if someone sits down and watches the original again, get's inspired and decides to do a sequel that we could be proud of that ignors 4 & 5 and picks up from part 3.

I'd like to see a prequel that shows us the story that Frank related to Freddy, use that story as a structure and expand it into a great movie.

15. BrettGallman

I just watched this one again tonight, and I realized that one of the reasons I can't see it getting remade is the fact that it's so grounded in the '80's. And that's not a bad thing. If anything, that's what makes it so good even after all these years. It's almost as if it adds to the charm of the film. Part of it is probably the actors though, as I associate so many of them with '80's horror flicks (Clu Gulager in Nightmare On Elm St. 2 and The Hidden, Thom Matthews was in Friday 6, Miguel Nunez and Mark Venturini from Friday 5).

I'm still betting that someone will remake it, but I don't know if they'll be able to pull the whole comedy/horror thing off as effectively as the original.

16. Michael Allred

Michael

That would be interesting actually.