Relocation info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Gove, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

We live in the Twin Cities area and although we were born here, have never liked the area (mostly the winters). I was laid off from a web company job in October and haven't had any luck finding a job here despite 9 years of software/internet experience. We have relatives in Denver and have decided to move out there. I've applied for a lot of jobs out there already and nothing has come of it. I'm thinking that no one wants to fly someone out there for an interview if there's tons of local candidates. So my question is for people that have relocated to other states. Did you just move out there and start looking for a job, or did you find one and then move. Any advice for me?

Thanks

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I had to do some job hopping right after college because I was laid off from General Dynamics and I didn't find a job with my current employer, Intel, until 6 months later. I used temp agencies to carry me until a permanent job was available. You could send your resume to a dozen or so agencies and indicate when you would be available. If one of them pick you up it would give you an income while you hunt for a permanent job. Temp agencies don't have much job security but they generally pay good hourly rates and are easy to leave (no more than a few hours notice is necessary to leave). Good luck.

Kenneth

3. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Temp agencies can get software/internet jobs? I thought they just got clerical and stuff like that.

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

When a company I worked for moved back in 90', I started doing temp jobs (AS400 programming). My longest temp job over the 10 year period was 2.75 years. My best year was over $200k.

If you do temp work, always do your best and never close a door. I now have a great job with a former client twenty minutes from my house.

5. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

There are definitely temp agencies that provide professionals (engineers, programmers, etc) to companies. I was getting $15.00 hr in '88 right out of college as a contract mechanical engineer before coming to Intel. Many companies will hire contract workers to try a worker out before hiring them or because of the cyclical or uncertain nature of their business. Because they don't have to provide benefits, the pay is usually better than that of permanent employees and with an hourly rate you can generally make some nice overtime.

Kenneth

6. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Can you recommend a temp agency?

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Both times that I have moved to another state it was because I searched for a job first, interviewed for them, and the was offered the position before moving. You have family in Colorado so that will make the move easier since you will know someone but you should start looking really hard during the time before you move.

KyleS

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Just as an aside, I talked to a old friend yesterday that also works in the IT industry. He had moved back to the Philadelphia area beacuse the IT job market in Denver was dead. Perhaps thats why you're not getting any hits on your resume....

We both do Solaris systems administration. And are both doing okay in Philly.

9. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Head to the Washington D.C., Northern VA. area.. There are probably still alot of jobs around there.. Lots of government contractors looking for fresh I.T. meat I would suppose.

Personally, I couldn't stand working for that kind of company. I worked for CSC for a little while, a very short while...

10. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit