What's new

Relocating to Los Angeles area.... (1 Viewer)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, the rent situation in LA/SoCal sounds really bad and out-of-control, it almost sounds like what it was in the boom time over here in the Bay Area.

I'm paying a little over $1400 for a 2 bedroom 2 full bathroom apartment with my fiance - it's a little on the high side, but it's a new apartment, it's spacious, and it's ok with my dog and cat.

But I feel like it's a given to pay a premium to live in the Bay Area/Califronia, where living costs are much higher than the national average. I feel like the lower cost of living in other parts of the nation balances out with the amount you get paid for working out there - are there a lot of $50k+ jobs in Wisconsin or Utah?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yoshi, I've worked on stories that cover the plummeting rents up your way. The dot-com and stock-market busts really hurt NoCal badly, and the market has yet to recover.

Too bad, as I'd move up to SF in a heartbeat if there were more media work to be had there.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

It has to do with the fact that in no other city in the U.S. is there such a dramatic divide between prosperity and poverty, combined with horrible urban planning.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Yoshi- Yes, there are many jobs that pay very well in Wisconsin (although I'm talking about the greater Milwaukee area, not the rural parts). For example, for my field employees do receive higher salaries in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. However, the real question is whether or not the size of the pay increase substantiates the increase in cost of living expenses. To my understanding, it typically doesn't and it is therefore influencing my decision (along with other factors) to move back home and professionally establish myself there. As an aside, my girlfriend's brother currently lives in a $400,000 condo about 15 minutes from Santa Monica (sorry, can't remember the name of the city). He wanted to know what 400 grand could get him in the suburbs of Milwaukee, so we logged on to a popular real estate site exclusive to the area and he was totally floored! He has lived in California all of his life and has been wanting to leave for quite a few years now. I guess showing him what he could get made him want to leave even more. However, I'm unsure how he would be able to deal with a real winter for six months out of the year.

Brent_H

Second Unit
so in reading all of your posts, it doesnt seem very optimistic! I'm also entertaining the thought of going to school in Nashville.....I can get in right away, get the major I want, unlike UCLA where who knows when/if I will get in or get the major I want (huge waiting list). The kicker is, its $20,000+ per year, and I have at least two to go...The nice thing is, I will internship in LA, so in the end, I still will be in California. Ok, I just decided. That's what I'm going to do. Thanks guys :)

Regards.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Brent- Again, what specifically attracts you to L.A. so much? I'm just curious because despite the obstacles you will face, you seem pretty adamant about attending school there. I'm not questioning your decision to move here, I'm just interested on why you seem so focused on moving to L.A. vs. other parts of the country (including Minnesota).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brent, believe it or not I know a bit about Nashville too (I've spent lots of time in Tennessee; have relatives there). You seem to be suggesting Vanderbilt, considering the tuition you cite. There is MTSU twenty miles south in Murfreesboro, a public school. And a number of religion-funded colleges and universities. However, the region is affordable (though the climate is monstrously humid), and the social opportunities are, shall we say, limited compared with California (it's a kind of buttoned-down, conservative community that favors the home-and-hearth crowd; nothing wrong with that, but not my cup).

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Brent,

Good luck! I lived in LA for 10 years and have been back a couple of times since. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

It certainly does offer some good opportunities but is living in a city like that worth it? It can also be extremely expensive to take advantage of some of the opportunities.

Hope all works out the best for you, no matter what you decide.

Alex

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I really mean any big city. I just don't care for them. Too many people [many of whom are too concerned with image], nasty air [the last time I was in LA the smog was so thick I couldn't see 100 yards and flat out noxious], too many cars and time spent in traffic jams, the pace of life is too fast with limited opportunities to just get away and relax...been there, done that. Not to mention spending an arm and a leg to live in a dive. No thanks.

I like where I'm at. There are places 5-10 minutes from my house I can go hiking in the mountains where few people have ever been or hit some great mountain biking trails. You might see a couple people if you're unlucky. Half an hour to 45 minutes and I can be getting a line wet for salmon. A short drive into Anchorage and I can have an excellent meal in a fancy restaurant and it doesn't matter if I'm in a suit and tie or dirty shorts and sandals. You don't have to be on the A list to get in anywhere.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Jack...

Actually, the school I want to attend is Belmont University, which is right next to Vanderbilt. I want to major in Music Business, with hopes of managing a band or something of that nature. I was going to go last fall and was accepted and all that, but decided against it, mainly because the tuition is insane. The thing is, I know I can intern in LA when the time comes for that, so I will get there eventually. I am really considering Nashville again...it just seems like a lot more pleasant place to live for the first time out on my own. I don't mind the conservative crowd either, as I am pretty "Bible-hugger" myself...lol :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
LA is nice if you can afford it. i went to college at cal poly, pomona and pretty much lived all over LA for about ten years. everywhere from diamond bar, to san dimas, to burbank, to LA proper, to culver city. i used to know (guess i still do) the freeway's like nobody's business!

when i lived there, i had plenty of disposable income so i did a lot of partying. that made it fun. but once my money ran out...so did my love for the town. :)

but, i must admit i don't miss it too much anymore. i've lived in sac now for about 7 years and enjoy it just fine.

yeah, LA does have a jumping nightlife and (if you know where to go) constant people to meet and parties to attend. but that stuff gets old after a while.

and it really is such a big town. my uncle always jokes it's the only place you can drive for an hour on the freeway and still be in the darn town. :)

i think you probably owe it to yourself to visit LA and see if it's really for you. it's certainly worth staying for a while.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
it's the only place you can drive for an hour on the freeway and still be in the darn town
I went to grad school the first time at UCSD.

I got so confused driving from my parent's house in Los Gatos to campus. It would take about 6 hours to get to LA and then about 2 hours to get from LA to La Jolla. Then why would it take me 10 hours to make the trip?

Answer: 2 hours to get across LA.....:rolleyes

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Brent, with your kind of determination and desire to be here I certainly hope you realize your dreams! We've informed you of the challenges and now it's up to you to rise up to them. I bet you will.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Jack...and everyone:

thanks for your replies...Its certainly helped me in making a decision...I am moving next summer for sure, I just need to decide if it will be LA or Nashville :)

regards

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The same type of list can be generated for a big city.
Absolutely!

What I find humorous is that people sometimes assume that a city defines its individuals, i.e. if it's got a great nightlife, then we are all club-goers, ravers and partiers!

I came to LA for college, and sure did take advantage of the nightlife - parties, bars, clubs, etc.! But that was twelve years ago. Now I have a set and pretty ordinary life. I have a core group of friends I spend time with (half of whom are now married). I have set places that I go to: occasional beach trip, LACMA, Largo (for intimate music setting), friends houses to watch sports, Santa Barbara to "get away from it all", etc. I live a pretty normal life, one that would mirror the kind I would have up in the little nor-cal town I grew up in, except that L.A. gives me tons more options that I wouldn't have up there (culturally, like museums, scenery, like the beaches, and sports-wise, like Dodgers/Lakers/UCLA games).

I live a very normal life. I am actually quite a bit of a "home-body" - that's why I have a Home Theater - so I can stay at home! Yet I live smack dab in the middle of Westwood (UCLA) which is probably the most jumpin' place on the West Side. But I'm not trapped by that. I can have that kind of fun if I want, but I can also be my own, normal self most of the time.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

I don't disagree, it just takes longer to get there and there will still be more people around. In cities you've got millions of people to contend with, I've got 250,000 and A LOT more space to do it in.

There are certainly advantages, they're just not too important to me.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I basically grew up in LA for most of my life, and now I'm living in Northern California.

The things I don't like about LA is the urban sprawl - like Ted and others mentioned, you can drive for about an hour and still feel like you're in the same place. In the Bay Area, it's relatively easy to get away - 20-30 minutes from SF can get you into the redwoods of Muir Woods, 40 minutes takes you to Wine Country, Tahoe and Yosemite are about 3 hours away...

Also, the traffic - you'll be dreading to hear the numbers "405" or "10" or "101" - I think its gotten worse over the years. Traffic can be bad in the Bay Area too, but its not as bad as LA.

The things I like about LA are the ethnic centers - they're all different and unique. Lots of great foods of all kinds that are truly authentic. They say the best Korean food is not in Korea, but it's in Koreatown in LA. And good Mexican food is all over the place.

I think LA is sort of a polarizing city - most likely, you'll be either loving it or hating it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks