Relocate to Texas??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by L. Anton Dencklau, Dec 23, 2004.

1. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The positive is you'll have a job. The negative is that it's in Houston.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Granted I've only visited on work but I would rate the area no more then a 5 on a scale of 10. On the other hand I have co-workers who think it is the greatest. Of course they have never been there is the summer as I have been.

Have you been there yourself? If not I would definitely arrange to visit before you commit. Who knows you may find that it is your cup of tea.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Houston is hot and humid in the summertime. You'll walk out of your house in July and melt.

(Granted, my experience is only from a couple of visits there....)

- Steve

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I agree with the other guys. Its humid as hell in TX.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well, there are worse places to live than Houston. New York and Tijuana are a couple that come to mind. [​IMG]

6. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Matt,

Only certain parts in Texas are humid. Houston definitely is because it is close to the Gulf Coast. Dallas isn't humid, and El Paso certainly isn't.

Anton,

As a proud resident of Dallas, let me be the first to tell you. HOUSTON SUCKS!!!

7. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I've been in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a year and a half now moving from south of Kansas City. I must also agree that I enjoy Dallas much more than I did in my visit to Houston.

8. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Let's see...hot, humid, high crime, OVER-CROWDED, TERRIBLE traffic everywhere...I'd say skip a trip to Houston.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    My son, born and raised here, moved to Dallas a few years ago and he swears he ain’t ever coming back. What does that tell you?

Like any city, Houston has its pros and cons.

On the con side, the major problems IMO are runaway illegal immigration that’s dragging down everyone’s quality of life (unless you feel graffiti is a legitimate art form) and a miserably inadequate freeway system – poorly designed and laid out, with about half the lane/miles needed. An exploding population aggravates the poor freeway system.

True, the summers are miserable – long, hot and humid. It starts warming up in late April and doesn’t let up until late September to mid October. The worst months are mid July to mid September. You definitely don’t want to be without an air-conditioned car.

However, if you’re from Iowa you’ll probably love the winters. For all practical purposes, winter is only late December to early February. Even then, it's not unusual to see days in the mid-sixties or higher. If it gets below freezing here, it’s considered a seriously cold snap. It’s not unusual to go through a winter and not get below 30 degrees. However, the humidity makes the cold really biting. In other words, it feels a good bit colder than the thermometer says.

Being from Iowa you’ll get a chance to see the ocean and a real beach at Galveston, less than a two-hour drive from the Woodlands. Unfortunately it’s probably the ugliest beach on the Gulf of Mexico – brown sand with really murky water. However, a tour of the fabulous historic 19th century mansions is worth the drive, even if the beach isn’t.

On the plus side, housing in Houston is cheap and plentiful. Houston has the cheapest real estate market of any major city in the country. It’s the result of no zoning. Other benefits of no zoning are that businesses can come in where demographics (read population) demand, not where the government says you can or can’t put up a restaurant or gas station. As a result, it’s pretty common to have all the stores you need fairly close at hand. If you like to eat out I’ve heard that few cities have as many restaurants as readily accessible and as inexpensive as Houston. And being near the Gulf, I imagine you’ll get better seafood here than you can get in Iowa.

The Woodlands is about 30-35 miles north of downtown Houston, and it’s considered one of the nicer places to live, provided you like pine trees (personally I hate them). The place is actually build in the middle of a forest of pine trees. It’s practically it’s own little city with a mall, concert pavilion, hotels, shops, stores, etc. However, you’ll have to drive to Houston for all the serious arts and entertainment (if you’re into that).

If you can live in The Woodlands as well as work there, that’s the way to fly – you won’t have to fight the traffic every day going into Houston. But even if you had to drive into town everyday, The Woodlands is probably the best place to be, IMO. It’s the only suburban area with two freeways serving it, one a tollway and the other the main freeway. Even better, the main freeway is one of the few in the city that has been recently widened and improved all the way out.

The Woodlands is a privately developed community, so I doubt Houston’s no zoning thing is in effect there. In fact, from what I’ve seen when I’ve been there it looks like it is zoned, as there appears to be definite areas set aside for housing and businesses. If you live in The Woodlands, you’ll probably be in a subdivision with pretty strict deed restrictions.

I don’t know what all you wanted to know, but if I didn’t cover something you’re interested in, post it here or e-mail me.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

They ain't kidding, Houston sucks.

11. L. Anton Dencklau

12. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm a native Houston, so a little biased...but what a bunch of haters we have here...

Like all cities, Houston has its plusses and minuses.
    Realize you are talking about the 4th largest city in terms of population and the 2nd largest in terms of size (617 sq miles). In that much size, there is a lot of nice areas and a lot a crappy areas. What there isn't is a lot of hills.

Houston is flat.
    Except for the freeways. Natural beauty is limited to pine forests more northerly diminishing to coastal plains as you go south (interspersed with refineries)...

Are you a hot weather or cold weather person? I've lived in Des Moines / Rochester NY / and Houston and greatly prefer the weather in Houston. For me, it's easier to stay cool than warm. And it's less messy. And you don't need a big wardrobe.

Houstonians tend to be nice people. Texans in general do too. The rudest people are those that have moved here from elsewhere. That goes for person to person contact and driving.

As for driving, if there weren't so many damn people who insisted on living 30 to 40 miles outside of town, the traffic wouldnt' be so bad. I suggest you live near where you work. Houston is behind the times when it comes to mass transit, but it's the same people who vote against things like commuter rail that could use it. Instead, they'd rather build a 16 lane freeway from their culturally boring white as bread suburb of katy or sugarland or kingwood or the woodlands.

Houston has great restaurants. We eat out more per capita than any other city. Restaurants are reasonably priced for food that exceeds any I've had in NYC or Chicago or SF or LA.

Houston has an opera, symphony, ballet, and playhouse and multitudes of cultural events to attend. Not as many as NYC granted.

I wouldn't let the no zoning scare you too much. Each neighborhood has the option of restrictions and can limit what is built where and in what fashion. Not all do, but most. Besides, who wouldn't want to live next to their mechnic shop? I'm kidding.. though it is possible.

Be advised that those who live in Dallas have to hate Houston and vice versa. One will find distinct attitude differences among residents of both cities. I suggest you pick the city that most fits yours..and if its arrogance under a big head of hair then head north of houston.

Chris

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, I’m confused – no one’s said anything positive or negative about the culture... ?

Maybe you could describe for us what you’re used to in Ames to give us an idea of how much a “culture shock” it might be.

Like Chris mentioned, people here are friendly – in fact, that’s a regular compliment we get with visitors from up north.

If it’s only for a couple of years, it would probably be worth the experience. Like I said, The Woodlands is a nice place, one of the most scenic places in the area. The worst part for you coming from Iowa would probably be the summer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

1 - we don't ride horses to work
    2 - we don't (all) wear cowboy hats
    3 - we are stuck on ourselves as a state (watch a day of commercials..and everything is texas this, texas that)
    4 - very little corn
    5 - no veisha

15. L. Anton Dencklau

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Anton,
    For me it's the weather, right now in Ames, it is 6 below.
    I know we're all mostly in a cold snap at this point, but next Tuesday it should be 40 where you are and 70 in Houston.
    I grew up in the Midwest and later lived in upstate New York. Lovely places that I go back to visit for the beautiful Fall colors.
    Driving on ice, shoveling snow...I left it behind.
    I can't tell you that Houston is the best part of Texas, that would be the Austin area. But, from Houston you can get to New Orleans for a visit, or drive over my way and enjoy the Hill Country.
    You might decide, like many others from the north, that any damn fool can be born in Texas, the rest of us came here by choice. [​IMG]

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

All I'm saying is I'd go back to north dakota before I'd go back to houston. [​IMG]

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Eh, Austin's a nice place and I'd be happy to move back there someday, but it's overrated. Pretty country, but the people are really stuck on themselves (probably because everyone keeps saying how stupendously wonderful Austin is), and since it's much smaller there's simply not as much to do as in the major cities nearby.

I do tend to agree with most of the specifics mentioned about Houston, positive and negative. Nice people who are very easy to chat up (again, I'm living on the east coast now and if you say hello to someone, they glare at you as if they're wondering if you're a serial killer), outstanding restaurants, lots to do and discover, close to Galveston, which isn't pretty but is interesting. Negatives are the weather, sheer ugliness of the place, traffic, and the sprawl of it might take some getting used to.

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Well Anton, if you like college towns, you won’t like Houston—about as far from a Midwest college town as you can get. But there really are plenty of things to like (they have been mentioned) such as a very real cultural scene and great restaurants and professional sports. While it may be humid in the summer, you never get those cold Midwest winters. As far as Texas culture, well it is a bit different—but can be lots of fun if you sit back and go with the flow.

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

As long as you're very, very, very pro-Death Penalty, you'll fit into Texas culture just fine. Of course, if you're not, you might feel a bit uncomfortable.