What's new

Reloaded on IMAX? (1 Viewer)

Galen_V

Second Unit
If you go to Imax.com they have the complete list of IMAX theaters that are showing the movie.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Got tickets for tomorrow nights 06/07/03 showing at normal IMAX ticket price which is $8.50. It will be the full presentation of the film, I don't know about intermisions though. I will let you know what I think.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
ROTK is not being released in IMAX theatres....

I don't know where that came from, but it is untrue....

With Imax opening MATRIX:REVOLUTIONS Early November and YOUNG BLACK STALLION opening on Xmas day, there is no open slot for ROTK.

Dugger

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
AOTC used the whole "negative" 1.78:1 for IMAX. Considering Larry and Andy's OAR fetish, I'm hoping that the IMAX showing isn't MAR, otherwise I'm skipping out...AGAIN

Has anyone actually seen it who can confirm/deny?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, the 2:15 p.m. show was sold out 30 minutes before showtime, and the 7 p.m. show sold out by 3 p.m. this afternoon t the Mall of Georgia's Regal IMAX theater, and I didn't feel like sticking around for the 7:00 p.m. show tonight, so it'll have to be tomorrow for the Sunday 2:15 p.m. show.

The frikkin' ticket costs $11.50!

This particular theater is alternating showing of Reloaded with The Ghost of the Abyss. Sigh...

I was kind of disappointed when I watched the "Imax" version today. Why? Well it didn't really feel like an Imax movie. It was still widescreen. I felt like I was watching a letterbox movie on a large 4x3 screen. With black top and bottom bars. I think the aspect ratio was around 1.85:1. Don't get me wrong. I love widescreen movies but this was supposed to be an Imax movie, not just a widescreen movie that's shown on a larger screen. I thought at first that it wasn't an Imax movie but the picture quality was definitely of higher resolution than your regular movie. Nevertheless, It just wasn't a true Imax experience for me. :frowning:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Saw it today at an Imax theatre in Denver. Definately was "big" and I'm glad they didn't pan and scan it. I would say it was wider than 1.85:1 though, but not a full 2.35:1. Maybe 2:1 I didn't notice any cropping though which makes me wonder if they squished it at all. Scenes where actors were on extreme sides of the screen were still at the extreme sides of the screen, nothing cut off.

My only complaint would be that the picture was extremely dark. I don't know if this was a problem with this specific theatre or if it is with all of the Imax prints and projection.

This was also my third viewing and last in the theatres. God I love this movie though. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One word: AWESOME!

The IMAX at the Mall of Georgia (northeast of Atlanta) has a kickbutt theater for IMAX. The bass from this movie was plentiful and very effective. The screen is 6 stories high by 8 stories wide, it's nice and big.

Reloaded on IMAX does appear to be in its 2.35 OAR (I did a quick measurement by using my fingers to approximate the height and width ratios, and it was about 2 1/3 wide as it was tall. It does feel a little taller though, perhaps due to the enormity of the its size relative to viewing distance.

The one drawback about IMAX is that it's very unforgiving, you do see every little facial imperfection on the actors' faces. Fishburne is a bit too scary on IMAX.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of the film, and its IMAX version if playing near you, you owe it to yourself to go see it. You'll have greater appreciation for all the minute details that are in this film, frame by frame. It's quite amazing in terms of the details embedded in the film.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Reloaded on IMAX does appear to be in its 2.35 OAR (I did a quick measurement by using my fingers to approximate the height and width ratios, and it was about 2 1/3 wide as it was tall. It does feel a little taller though, perhaps due to the enormity of the its size relative to viewing distance.
Hold up a dollar bill at arms length and face the screen - if the image is the same shape and proportion as the bill, then you're seeing 'scope (2.35/2.40) properly (within reason).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I might go see it, but seeing as how I was hiding my face in embarrasement at the CGI in the burly brawl in 35mm, am I going to nearly kill myself by it looking even more obviously fake in the IMAX version?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I could tell that Hamann and Locke both wore contact lenses from watching it on IMAX. The CGI, I think, is better on a larger scale.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I'm very confused at those that are seeing a better quality picture. I saw Reloaded in IMAX yesterday and it basically looked like a high quality 35mm print. The only reasoning I can come up with to explain the extra detail people are seeing, is how much closer you are to the screen at an IMAX theater.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From my experience, the IMAX version gives you about 3x-4x increase in size over a conventional theater screen.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Our IMAX is only a 5 story, so I'm guessing it's closer to about 2x-2.5x. Oh well, still good ;)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Woah, back up. ROTK on IMAX? When did this happen? The cuts are going to be MASSIVE on that film if they run it on IMAX
I also read this in an article when AOTC came out... but not that it was definite, merely that it was being looked into.

I would love to see ROTK in IMAX. Since it was shot in Super 35, they could just open up the mattes. Judging from the interactive editing supplement on the FOTR Extended, the effects were hard matted to 1.85 or possibly even 1.66, so there wouldn't be too much picture lost there.

CRyan

Screenwriter
It was pretty neat to see. However, the obvious CGI in that first fight with all of the agent Smith's was just not good. I really felt like I was watching a really good video game. His face and his hands on the pipe were just not right in several of the scenes there.

It was worth seeing though.

C. Ryan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see ROTK in IMAX. Since it was shot in Super 35, they could just open up the mattes. Judging from the interactive editing supplement on the FOTR Extended, the effects were hard matted to 1.85 or possibly even 1.66, so there wouldn't be too much picture lost there.
You're missing the point of OAR, it's not about amount of picture, it's about the RIGHT picture. If they have the film in anything but 2.35:1 it's MAR and should not be viewed by men, women, children or pets :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You're missing the point of OAR, it's not about amount of picture, it's about the RIGHT picture.
Well, if Peter Jackson ends up saying 1.66 is the RIGHT amount of picture for an IMAX presentation, who are you to say it's not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks