What's new

Reliving Deep Space Nine on DVD... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
More like discovering it in my case.

Like many, I decided to skip DS9 up untill I saw an ep from Season 6. The one where they met a colony of their decendants in the Gamma Quadrant. From then on in I was hooked. Now that the price of Seasons has dropped to $50's, I can afford to pick up the first few.

These are really going by really quick in the viewing process they are so much fun. Too bad they don't bring back these guys to run the franchise again..rather than some flavor of the month director they have gotten for Trek'Insert title here'...

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I still think that DS9 was my favorite of the Star Trek Series. The funny thing was that I was against it when it first came out. I rememeber thinking that it is going to be boring stuck in one place (the station). Boy was I wrong.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
It must have been some kind of in joke to get Morn into any shot possible. Everytime I look, there he is. Gets a laugh every time :)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I, the dedicated Trekker, stuck with every incarnation of Star Trek throughout the years, and DS9 was no exception. I remember it being a "chore" to watch the first time around, as it had TNG to compete with in its early years amd VOYAGER to compete with in the later years. As I recall, there was only a three month windiw when DS9 was the only Trek on the air.

When the DVD sets began coming out, I snapped up the TNG sets. They were a no-brainer as far as purchases went. But DS9 was a harder choice for me. Initially, I decided that I wasn't going to buy any of them. Then, when the release schedule got to the fourth season, I decided to bite and buy just that one, since it contained "The Visitor", a favorite episode. As my wife and I sat down to watch an episode or two, we became hooked. Somehow, in the DVD world, with its faster access to the next episode, suddely DS9 became more exiting.

We couldn't wait for seasons 5 through 7, and bought each as they came out. Naturally, then I had to have seasons 1 through 3, and bought them in the used market.

Since then, we've been through the entire series twice, and most of the time, it really does rank up there with the best Treks ever made. (The less said about the "Ferengi" episodes, the better.)

Harry

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I've seen enough episodes from the entire run to get the gist of the story, but have been picking up the sets as their prices drop (got 1-3 so far), and have been enjoying it immensely. I've never been a big enough fan of Trek to pick up any of the other sets (other than the movies), but I plan to get all of the DS9 stuff. Good schtuff.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
DS9 is not only my fav trek series, its also my favorite show period. Great stuff which only got better as each season passed

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have TOS and now that TNG has dropped in price I am going to start picking it up too. I would like to collect all the Trek Series'. I just hope Paramount doesn't Yank them before I'm done

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I used to love TNG when I was a teenager, but after catching some episodes on cable recently, I realized it doesn't hold up very well. The first two seasons, apart from a couple gems, is almost painful to watch, and the last three get a bit too soapy and all the problems are solved with technobabel. Voyager was simply awful, and Enterprise was just forgettable. Only DS9 and TOS are still enjoyable for me.

I don't think DS9's big story arc was quite as good as Babylon 5, in large part because the writers were pinned down by the Star Trek style, but they still managed a great show. The big problem with the series -- and this was especially obvious during its first run when you had to wait weeks for new episodes -- is that so many episodes are either part of the war arc, or they're completely standalone. You'd have five eps in a row about the Dominion war, then suddenly there'd be a story about Kira and Odo going on a date with hardly any mention of the big picture. Babylon 5 also had standalone episodes, but there was always a B-plot that advanced the main story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Its the best and most consistent Trek series IMO. The arc of seasons 4 through 7 can't be beat.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
The relationship between Odo and Quark is what made the show for me personally. It is still my favorite of the Trek shows by far.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I bought the complete series box set in March, and wanted to start a thread like this, but figured someone would close it and tell me to revive some years-old thread on the same topic.

Anyway, this show was and is the only Trek show for me.

If the others didn't exist, I wouldn't care. I never watched the Original Series, saw every episode of TNG but didn't care about it at all, and enjoyed seasons 1-3 of Voyager, before it became a dull chore like doing the laundry. Enterprise...didn't bother with it at all.

Having every episode, reliving the epic all over again...it is nothing short of extrordinary. Congrats to you for rediscovering this.

In an old interview from 1998 or so, Executive Producer/head writer/DS9 god Ira Steven Behr remarked that in 10 years or so, people would finally 'get' this series, and appreciate it more than when it was on.

I think he was right about that. I see topic after topic in this and many other forums that are a testament to that.

My introduction to DS9 was like this:

1992, heard that a new Trek show would debut in January of '93. I was 13, knew a little about TNG, but as I said I didn't care for it, and ended up seeing a few episodes of DS9 on occaision.

Fast-forward to 1997...I look for something, anything on TV during the summer months, and late at night I come across DS9 - like Neil V. it was a 5th ('Children Of Time', the episode he referred to was season 5, not 6) season episode, titled 'In Purgatory's Shadow'. I couldn't believe how much the show had changed. Everything - the stories, action, from the theme music to the uniforms they wore, was different, better, than what I saw years ago. I didn't know what the hell was going on, but by the time 'A Call To Arms' rolled around, I was kicking myself for not following it from the beginning.

Luckily, by the time season 6 premiered, the show began a nightly rerun from the start so I was able to catch up... a hell of a ride.
This series was my escape into a grand, exciting world back in the cold, harsh realities of high school life. One I am forever grateful to.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
What I liked most about DS9 was that it had characters with actual LIVES - Commander (later Captain) Sisko is a widower, raising his son, alone. Of all the Trek Captains, he seems to be the only one who had a life, other than his career.

There was also tension between the characters - it wasn't just "one big happy fleet" as Khan put it so sarcastically in Wrath of Khan. The Bajorans had their own agendas, many of which were quite apart from the Federation's agenda. The fiery Major Kira, too traumatized by war to trust the offer of help from an "imperial" seeming Federation summed this up wonderfully. She wanted a free Bajor, but knew that in its weakened condition, it would only be a matter of time before another conquerer came along.

The conflict between the characters, such as Odo and Quark, were some of the highlights of the show for me, and perhaps that is because Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimmerman had such great onscreen chemistry. The intrigues of the mysterious Garak, (my all time favorite Trek character), and the "eager young space cadet" Dr. Bashir was also a joy to watch.

Anyway, if they could get these sets priced in a way that would appease my budget, I would happily snap them up.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
When I got them, the combined price of all 7 seasons amounted to what I would have paid for 7 seasons of a cheaper-priced series, like ANGEL or CSI. Because of that, I found the price worth it, rather than buying them individually, which would have costed about $1000 more.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I am also currently reliving Deep Space Nine...that is, experiencing it for the first time on DVD.

I finished season 3 about a week ago, and am of course amazed by how rich it is. I have a basic understanding of what is about to happen, and it kills me to think that the most rich part of the Star Trek universe, as well as the most important to the 24th century history is so seldom talked about.

The DVDs are the hardest to find used. Space channel in Canada shows every Trek series in reruns expect DS9. It's rather annoying for me because I want to continue with season 4-7, and the only station I can find DS9 on is Spike TV. I cannot stand Spike TV though for the way they run TNG and DS9 at what looks like Quicktime resolution and sped up for more commercial time making the music and everyone's voice sound off pitch, and I know they are cutting stuff out for time. The way they massacre the shows they run, they might as well not run them. This leaves me with little choice but to shell out lots of cash for the rest of the series.

Anyone know a cheap place in the Toronto area for me to find season 4-7? I know of one place in Pickering that at last check had then for $124. Any other suggestions?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

It was indeed Space that I was referring to in my post, regarding the reruns - DS9 was the first, and in 1997, the only Trek series that channel had. In fact, it was one of the very few shows that channel had at all - Space made its debut on a Friday night in October 1997, and DS9 began the following Sunday night at 10PM...little trivia for you.

Up until March, that dreadful Spike TV was my only option as well...glad to know I'm not the only one who HATES how bad the picture and sound quality is for that crap channel...

I tried eBAY.ca, but found that getting the individual seasons was far too costly. Heading to every store I could find in downtown Toronto was a waste, so I caved in an got the complete series set from CDPlus.ca - cheaper than Amazon.ca. As I said before, it worked out to be around $70 per season combined - exactly what the average Canadian cost is for another individual TV boxset, like the ANGEL season sets I have. $70 Canadian times 7 may be a lot of money, but far less than buying them on their own...and worth every penny.

Plus they come in a little green tray the boxes can sit in :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

DS9 from a storytelling Storypoint was the best, but it took awhile for the Series to get it's feet wet, I'd say from S2 on, and Of course as Soon as Avery went Bald the Show Rocked.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The first three seasons of the show are available for $51.43 on DeepDiscountDVD.com and the whole series is for sale for $314.59, which comes out to be $44.94 each.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I watched DS9 from when ep1 first aired. Its the only Trek series I own on DVD.

If the other sets are coming down in price - Ill look ino TNG and TOS.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

I am close to grabbing all 7 season from DDD.

The only thing holding me back is to see if the semi annual 20% sale will affect this price at all.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks