Reliable Place to get Schematics?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CraigF, Feb 16, 2006.

1. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Want the service manual for an HT receiver that's a few years old. Preferably online in pdf at a reasonable price. Not a place hosted somewhere that you wouldn't want to do a $ transaction with, if you know what I mean... Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Typically those have to be ordered through the manufacturer’s HQ in your country, especially if you can't find them on line at their website. Give their parts department a call. If Canada doesn’t have one for your brand, try the U.S. HQ.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks. It's HK, and I can't get their website to give me proper repair/parts/service info for Canada, doesn't accept Canadian "zip codes". Actually, a pretty awful site, used to work much better.

So you're saying a couple of places I looked at offering pdf manuals are bogus? That's what I'm wondering. Too bad HK doesn't offer pdf service manuals even for a charge, some manufacturers do.

I know what's wrong with my equipment, just want to figure out what part (board) to order since it's out of warranty and the thing weighs a ton so would cost a lot to send for service even without the service charge. And why pay for that when you know what's wrong?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I did not say or even imply that. I’ve never seen or heard of these sites, so I can’t say if they’re bogus or not. All I said was that you would probably be able to get a servicd manual from the manufacturer. Not to mention there wouldn’t be any uncertainty as to whether or not you’ll actually get what you pay for.

Good luck, hope you can get it fixed. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Wayne: The point is, I can't get ANY info re service/repair/squat the way the site is arranged now. Not even a phone number. It says it works for Canada, but it doesn't. Must type in a zip code to get ANY info, but doesn't accept alphanumeric chars as we use in Canada. Weird setup, didn't used to be like that.

By saying I *typically* have to get the manual from the manufacturer, you *are* in effect inferring other sources *may* be dodgey.

See, I can be picky too.[​IMG]

Anyway, I fixed the problem without the manual just using a meter. HK manuals are available online from a "secret" site if you're clever. Being a clever weasel is my job...[​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow, didn’t know it was as bad as all that! [​IMG] Not even a city? At least with that you can call Information. Also you can often get this info from the owners manuals, which they have on-line.

Not really. All it means is that I had no idea, nor did it occur to me, that anyone else would offer that kind of stuff. [​IMG] Maybe I should get out more... [​IMG]

Well, I’m glad you got it straightened out. If it turns out you need to contact HK, let me know, I can probably dig up a phone number for you.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    No problem. I'm just relieved and even lightheaded after getting it fixed. It's one of those problems where a minor thing has a huge number of seemingly unrelated consequences.

The box for this thing is huge, and it's very heavy. Not a pleasant prospect to ship away. And my HT system would be down for who knows how long. I'd have to listen in stereo, God forbid! You can't imagine the dread that was hanging over me, I really get weird when stuff breaks because it's so rare with me (reliability freak!).

One thing you probably don't know, being in the U.S., is most manufacturers don't want to deal with you if you didn't purchase the component in the country where you call for service...in Canada, they want you to call the "handlers" in Canada. So I need a Canadian number, though HK is pretty tolerant I hear. I bought this in the U.S.

After I initially posted, the receiver subsequently went dead. A drastic change from being erratic. Much easier to fix dead than intermittant IMO.[​IMG]