Reletively inexpensive turntable cartridge?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Stone, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've been using my parents old turntable for a few months, and I'm loving it, but it still has the stock cartridge (Sony turntable circa 1989). Would it be worth my while to buy a new one?

TIA

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

DEFINITELY! Go to Best Buy, Radio Shack, online. They're easy to find. Hopefully your turntable is p-mount so it's just plug-and-play. I like Audio Technica.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Yes, oui, si, affirmative. If you have a magnifying glass, take a look at the needle on that old cartridge. Look for wear on the sides of the needle. When that goes far enough, the tip breaks off. I bet the needle must be well-worn by now...? When needles get a major wear pattern on them, they scratch your record grooves a mite bit. You may be close to needing a needle or new cartridge and same, anyway?

Your mount type will determine your options. They'll be less if it's P-mount. If it's standard mount try the Shure 97. There's lots of standard mount cartridges in the $50 - $200 range that are good. P-mount...and you'll may have to look a little harder for a real upgrade...? I know less about P-mount but I do know I don't see that much of it at audio websites I visit.

Mount type...?

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I was screwing around with the table this morning, and the cartridge just yanks out. It has 4 pins in a square configuration...I'm assuming that is P-mount. As for P-mount...any suggestions on brands? Not looking for anything pricey, just a decent upgrade.

Thanks guys!

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That's P-mount. I have an Audio Technica that I got at a local audiophile shop, I love it.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

How much money should I be looking to spend? I'm currently checking out the carts at Needle Doctor.

7. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Shure is one of the major brand names for the turntable needles.

They have price ranges which vary depending on what you want.

Speaker of that, I do have a Shure on my turnable on from the early 90+ and it's still there. Probably still in reasonable condition since it's been sitting in the dust even thou it's still on the AV stand!

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm not really sure of what differences the different price ranges offer (obviously quality, but I'm looking for more detailed specs). Basically, I don't want to spend $50 for something that I could have gotten for $30 if I knew more.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
  10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah, that's where I've been looking, but I'm still not sure what price range I should be looking at. I'm sure there's no limit, but am I wasting my money on a $40 cartridge?

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

No.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The way I see it, that the cartridge is by far the most important part, is $40 too little might be a more apprpriate question??? I have no direct, legitimate oppinion worth dung about P-mount cartz, but with standard-mount it very definitely would be worth spending more, IMO.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That was my question. [​IMG]

I understand that with vinyl, and anything analog, you can really dump an infinite amount of money into components. The info I was looking for was more of a low price end, where I would still see a performance improvement.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Matt, for standad-mount, I'd say $100 - $200. I'm imagine'in a slightly lower scale for P-mount... Does Shure stlle make a P-mount? I've liked the brand for a long tme. I've had other brands but always went back. I'm stayin' with 'em too. I have a new V-15 MR cart and looked at a used Denon for it, which I may buy...? I saw a used Dual that's a possibility too... I'm sure I like Shure. Merry Christmas![​IMG]

15. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

You can look at the Shure website here. They also have DJ needles too! =)

Good luck in your search.

16. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I have to put my two cents in for Grado cartridges. Back in the days of discrete analog quadrifonic (CD-4) I used AudioTechnica. Since then it's been exclusively Grado, currently a Red. Highly recommended