What's new

Releasing film series as boxsets: I wish this would stop... (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
What is which studios releasing film trilogys only in a box set? It's been done with The Godfather, Nightmare on Elm Street, Back To The Future, and Rocky to name a few. I understand the trilogy shouldn't really be broken up (BTTF for example) but who else feels it'll be better to release movies as is, instead of a pricey box set?

Dean

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I believe each of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies are available individually, along with the box set. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
You're correct - All seven Nightmare flims are now available on their own, but there is a bonus disc exclsuive to the box set, and, IMO, the cover art is better on the movies in the box set...Making the films available both ways is my perferred option, but in most cases this hasn't changed which titles I buy.

Initially it wasn't, but after time passed, New Line released them all on their own.

But who would want individual titles of that set? The bonus disc is amazing and worth the extra for the whole set.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
A note on The Nightmare films...

The Nightmare Collection - New Line Platinum Series has all eight films presented in 16:9 widescreen only. The box set also Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare features the original 3-D ending & the box set has two 3-D glasses, the bonus DVD, and a book with excerpts from the press kits for the films.

The single disc releases present the films in 16:9 widescreen and 4:3 cropped open-matte. The stand-alone Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare does not have the 3-D ending.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Thing is, BTTF isn't that pricey.
However, I had every intention of blind-buying The Godfather and I can only find it for $80+ with Godfather II and the supposedly ridiculous Godfather III. Not for a blind-buy would I buy that.
I hope they're released individually eventually. I hate the packaging, too.
I like the options.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Unfortunately, for those with limited budgets, it's called maximizing the profitability of their film library assets by forcing you to buy movies from the boxed set that probably won't sell very well, if sold individually.

Crawdaddy

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I am sure the films from both the 'Godfather' and 'Back To The Future' trilogies will ultimately be available individually. The companies figure that most of the real fans will opt for buying the entire sets rather than wait for the individual releases. This way the companies are able to increase their revenues.

Sanjay

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, for those with limited budgets, it's called maximizing the profitability of their film library assets by forcing you to buy movies from the boxed set that probably won't sell very well, if sold individually.
Exactly. Paramount and Universal (for example) aren't stupid--they know that if they released all three Godfathers and all three Back to the Futures separately, then the two "duds" of those trilogies (Godfather Part III and BTTF II) wouldn't sell nearly as well as the other, more popular titles.

So, they put them all together in a box set, taking the chance that the casual fan will buy the whole thing to get the one (or two) flick(s) they like the best.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Why shouldn't BTTF be broken up? The first one was light years better than the sequels. I might have purchased the first by itself, but I won't pay good money for the others.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Given a choise, I'd probably prefer box sets over individual releases. But if both were available... I'd probably go for the box sets anyway.

--Anders

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Bert, how does requesting a topic of a thread to actually mention what the thread contains make me "riled up"?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Kyle, he did not say you were. But your reaction to the thread title seemed uneccasary to me too. You once called yourself a "thread bully." This may be a perfect example. What was the point? Only bad could come of your post, and subsequent post. I wasnt going to say anything, but since you felt the need to respond to Bert, I'll jump in. You made a good point, that thread title was vague, but was it a problem? No. Relax, don't worry about it.
Hopefully my post will end the pointless arguement going on here....but I doubt it. Someone will no doubt respond to me. Im not making apersonal attack. I just feel I need to get this off my chest about people who debate off-topic. I just hate it when threads get off topic, and turn into useless bickering. Whoops, I guess Im doing that right now. I said my 2 cents. Im done. ;)
I'm sure I'll regret posting.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
If I got the original and there are any sequels, I just have to get them all to complete the franchise, so I'm all for the boxsets, plus they usually contain extra material/disc and work out cheaper than buying all the films separately. I even got Prophecy 2 and 3 and The Crow 2 & 3, etc.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
No one caught it yet...

A trilogy is a set of three items with similar themes.

The Nightmare films are more than a trilogy since they feature seven films in the series.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My complaint is when they release a box set (example: Universal Monsters), then don't release a follow up set (The Universal Monsters double features).

Everyone I know buys box sets over individual titles, irregardless of extra value discs being thrown in. I can understand the want of offering titles separately, but it seems that the majority buy complete sets. I am financially challenged, but I prioritize and plan what I am going to buy. I havn't spent $50 Cdn bucks a pop for the Monster double features, because I'm hoping that there will eventually be a box set. I'd rather pay for them all at once for less total cost. Godfather is rather expensive, I think they should cut the prices: Would any of you have a problem buying the trilogy if it worked out that you had (price wise) a free disc, or even half price? They would probably sell 3 times as many, and make a much better profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks