1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Release date/ reviews of 1-sided Schindler's List?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Skeen, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Since I've heard the foreign releases of Schindler's List will have the entire movie on 1 side, I've decided to hold off buying the US release. I see koreandvds.com has it for preorder, but doesn't show a release date. I'd also like to see a review of the disc quality before buying, since I'll still buy the US version if the quality is better.
    added- Whichever version I get has to be NTSC.

2. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Who said the foreign releases are having the movie on one disc/side? All I heard was that Koreandvds was having a 2 disc version. Doesn't necessarily mean that the whole movie is only on one disc.

3. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Even if it is on 2 discs, it's better than a flipper and the release date is April 1, 2004. It's right on the website.

4. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

I can confirm that every European release of Schindler´s List will be on 2 disc. We won´t see any D18 disc over here.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's another area of confusion- I'll take a 2-disc set as long as the entire movie is still on one disc (2-disc sets are silly though!); if it's split up I'll buy the US version though. Still waiting for definite info!

6. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

All versions have the film split either over 2 DVDs or as a flipper (R1). There is no DVD version where the film is crammed on to one side.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I heard the Korean release had the entire movie on one disc and the extras on the second. Is that wrong then? If so I'll just get the US version.

8. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Jesse,

Why on earth would you only buy the 2-disc release if the entire movie is only on one disc? With the DVD-18, you have a dual layered side with about two-thirds of the movie on it, and the rest of the movie continued on the other side. You're talking about putting the ENTIRE movie on that one dual-layered side, which has already been split up for optimal quality.

You said if the quality of the U. S. release was better, you would still get it instead of the overseas version. Well, I can tell you that a movie split over two dual-layered sides or two dual-layered discs is considerably better than cramming a 3 1/2 hour movie onto one dual-layered side of a disc (which I'm pretty certain Spielberg is not going to do anyway). If the foreign release is two discs, it will still split the movie over both discs.

9. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

The fragility of the US version alone makes it a loser when it comes to choosing which one to get. Flippers will forever be prone to scratches and fingerprints more so than a movie that is on one side only.

Jesse,

You must really hate the LOTR EEs because they are on two discs.

10. David Levy

David Levy Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I have seen test disks for Schindler's List from here in the UK, and the movie IS on one side, on one disk, with the extras on the second DVD