What's new

Release Date For DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK Remake Pushed Back Indefinitely (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
DEADLINE: I'm told that Miramax transaction between owner Disney and soon-to-be new owners, construction magnate Ron Tutor and Tom Barrack's Santa Monica-based Colony Capital (led by former Disney CFO Richard Nanula), won't be finalized until the end of the year or soon after because of "strictly logistical reasons". ("Standard practice in a deal of this magnitude," one insider tells me.) As a result, it has impacted two movies: [COLOR= #ff0000]The Debt[/COLOR], which was supposed to be released on December 29th, and [COLOR= #ff0000]Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark [/COLOR]the end of January. Now both pics are postponed until parent company Filmyard, which is what Tutor and Barrack are calling their new film company umbrella over Miramax, takes over. No new dates have been set.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Wait... Don't Be Afraid of the Dark wasn't scheduled to come out until January? They way they've been running trailers for it at the theater I was expecting it for Halloween.

I hate seeing trailers for the same movie running for months on end. By the time it finally comes out I've lost interest.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
[SIZE= 20px]FINALLY A RELEASE DATE![/SIZE]

FANGORIA: Horror fans have been kept in suspense for months about the fate of the Guillermo del Toro-produced DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, ever since Miramax was dropped by the Disney company, leaving it without a distribution partner. Now it has a new one, and DARK has a release date.

FilmDistrict has teamed with Miramax to open DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK in the U.S. on August 12. A new company founded by GK Films’ Graham King and Tim Headington along with Peter Schlessel, FilmDistrict debuts with James Wan’s INSIDIOUS on April 1. “Miramax has done an inspired job finding the right home for our film that took 15 years to get made,” says del Toro, who produced DARK with Mark Johnson and scripted it with Matthew Robbins, with acclaimed short filmmaker Troy Nixey making his feature directorial debut. “Partnering with Bob Berney [FilmDistrict’s president of theatrical distribution and former head of Picturehouse, which released del Toro’s PAN’S LABYRINTH] is always an exciting privilege and I’m confident that the FilmDistrict team will bring the intelligence, patience, and inspiration to set DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK forth into the world in a powerful way.”

Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce and Bailee Madison star in this remake of the classic 1973 telefilm about miniature monsters dwelling in a suburban house. “DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is the kind of incredibly unique and very frightening movie that we know American audiences crave,” Berney says. “The filmmakers and cast have done a brilliant job in reimagining the original version and I am personally very pleased to be working with Guillermo again.” Horror fans have been kept in suspense for months about the fate of the Guillermo del Toro-produced DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, ever since Miramax was dropped by the Disney company, leaving it without a distribution partner. Now it has a new one, and DARK has a release date.

FilmDistrict has teamed with Miramax to open DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK in the U.S. on August 12. A new company founded by GK Films’ Graham King and Tim Headington along with Peter Schlessel, FilmDistrict debuts with James Wan’s INSIDIOUS on April 1. “Miramax has done an inspired job finding the right home for our film that took 15 years to get made,” says del Toro, who produced DARK with Mark Johnson and scripted it with Matthew Robbins, with acclaimed short filmmaker Troy Nixey making his feature directorial debut. “Partnering with Bob Berney [FilmDistrict’s president of theatrical distribution and former head of Picturehouse, which released del Toro’s PAN’S LABYRINTH] is always an exciting privilege and I’m confident that the FilmDistrict team will bring the intelligence, patience, and inspiration to set DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK forth into the world in a powerful way.”

Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce and Bailee Madison star in this remake of the classic 1973 telefilm about miniature monsters dwelling in a suburban house. “DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is the kind of incredibly unique and very frightening movie that we know American audiences crave,” Berney says. “The filmmakers and cast have done a brilliant job in reimagining the original version and I am personally very pleased to be working with Guillermo again.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks