What's new

Relaxin' SACD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I had the K20 remaster before getting this version, so that's all I can compare it to, soundwise.

As is the case with many SACDs, the greatest difference is the "open-ness" of the sound compared to the older CD. However, I'm not sure if the K20 is the best redbook version, as I know a lot of people have a problem with these.

Musically, it's of course a gem, a sweet set of music from Miles' great quintet of Coltrane, Red Garland, my hero aka Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones. One of 5 records they cut in one shot before going to Columbia (now owned by Sony, who released Miles' SACDs non-hybrid, the bastards).

This if of course a hybrid and therefore probably the hottest digital version on the market. I don't really plan to listen to the CD layer because I'm content with it sounding great at home and good enough to rip on the go, not that I even need to do that because I know this album by heart.

As I'm listening to the penultimate track, I'm wondering if this might not be a bit bright sounding for some. This is something that seems to bother me less than others- there have been a few times when some of complained about brightness that I didn't notice upon first listen, so now I'm paranoid about it.

The 6 tracks here include a personal favorite, If I Were A Bell, and a tune by Sonny Rollins (Oleo) and Dizzy (Woody 'n You).

Recommended, including for the folks here who are still dipping their feet into the wonderful world of jazz.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Mike. I bought this one a few weeks back (along with plenty of other Fantasy titles), but as of yet haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen to it. I need to because everything I've read had been positive.

I almost bought the SACD of Round About Midnight, but hesitated due to the fact that it's a non-hybrid. I've gone back and forth between it and the redbook, but just can't decide. How are the sonics?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, don't get me wrong, the sound is great. I have all the Miles SACDs (though I'm thinking of selling a couple of the lesser titles) and enjoy Midnight, Blue, Silent Way, Smiles, Beauty, Spain, Evil, and Magus very much.

Just, you know, they should all be hybrids. The bastards.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the review as well Mike. I saw this thread late but I definitely want to pick it up.

The jazz on Super Audio has been fantastic so far and I hope we will learn of even more titles in 2004.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks