What's new

REL T2 (1 Viewer)

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Have Defitive Tech surround sound; Right-Left BP 2003TL (12" powered subwoofer), Center C/L/R 2002, Rear BPX. Have been advised to purchase Rel T2 to equalize system and add bass that the BP 2002 miss. Any opinions or recommendation?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Michael, I've owned a REL T3 subwoofer (the model below the T2). I was impressed with the build quality and really liked the Neutrik Speakon connector. This is a very musical subwoofer, it excels in two-channel audio. The sub is very picky as to room placement, but rewards you when properly integrated into a system. REL is very pricey though compared to competitors.

Is your system primarily for music or for home theater? For the same price I would also strongly consider the SVS SB12-Plus or HSU VTF-3 MK3, both of which will far outperform the REL for home theater. That being said, I really enjoyed the REL before I sold her, and would strongly consider another REL in the future (though from a higher series).

Cheers,
Alon

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
I'm upgrading my system except for the speakers. New HD Plasma, either a Samsung 58A650, Panasonic 50PZ800, or Pioneer 5020. New Denon 3808 and PS3. I have a Sony 200 CD box and a Sony 400 DVD box. I'm told that my DT 2002 12" power woofers do not balance the room and miss a small segment of the bass world. Thus was recommended the Rel t2!! I would like to The room is not great for sound, but I will not live here but another 2 years. So bottomline: better music sound with outstanding DVD sound!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Between the three, no question I would pick the HSU VTF-3. But just make sure you have room for this beast, she weighs in at 90lbs, with two ft depth, almost twice as large as the SVS, and three times the weight of the REL. My second pick would be the SVS SB12-Plus. I would also consider an SVS Cylinder sub such as the PC12-Plus if you have the room and like the design.

Cheers,
Alon

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Alog-thank you for your feedback and time. I do not have the room for now, so I must decide based on that. I listen to the Rel at our highend store (Vann's) here in Montana, but did not ask if they have SVS. Today I'm into HT, but tomorrow it may be music. I'm buying the PS3 to view dvds and start gaming (only toy with this!). Also to load my cds on and hardline to the internet for music. So the choice of a sub is to round out my DT 2002.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Frogman, here are some basic spec's on the two subwoofers:

REL T2, $798
- 200W Class AB amp
- 8" woofer
- 30Hz - 120Hz
- 14.75(h) x 13.2(w) x 15.5(d) in
- 33lbs

SVS SB12-Plus, $699
- 425W Class D amp
- 12.3" woofer
- 22Hz - 150Hz
- 14(h) x 14(w) x 15(d) in
- 40lbs

As you can see side-by-side they are both roughly the same size, weight and price, however the SVS sub has a much larger woofer, larger amplifier, and much lower frequency extension. With REL you are paying a hugh price premium for the hifi brand name, albeit this is a very musical subwoofer, but REL is much better known for their higher series products.

SVS uses an Internet-sales model in order to keep costs down, so purchases are made online. This means you aren't paying a markup for distribution channel and reseller. They also have a 45-day money back guarantee, so you can return the subwoofer if you are not satisfied. If you search the forums you will see that SVS is by far the most popular subwoofer manufacturer on the market, and for good reason

Cheers,
Alon

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Alon
Thank you again for your feedback, wish I could get the same response for my other threads on equipment upgrades!! Where would you recommend buying from, what internet site? I now understand that all sites are not created equal and you need to purchase from an authorized dealer site to keep the warranty!
Michael

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Frogman, that's the beauty of it, you don't need to find an authorized dealer. With vendors like SVS you purchase direct from the manufacturer. A quick search for SVS on Google will turn up their website ;)

Cheers,
Alon

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
Alon,
What is your opion on the SVS PB12-nsd or the big bucks New PB12-plus?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Well the PB12-Plus is nearly 30% bigger than the SB12-Plus, weighs more than 3x as much (you'll need two guys to lift her!), and had a bass extension of 16Hz. The two aren't even in the same league. This is one badass subwoofer. You may also want to consider the PC-12 Plus, which is a cylinder subwoofer with similar output, but several hundred cheaper.

As for the NSD Series, I don't have any experience with these models

Cheers,
Alon

FROGMAN

Agent
Real Name
Michael Lugar
I thought when I looked it up it look bigger and cost much more! So based on my requirements you advise would be the SVS PB12 for $700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks