What's new

REL Subs? (1 Viewer)

Scott_N

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone here uses a REL sub? After hearing a couple of their subs this past weekend at my dealer I ordered a Strata III and should get it sometime next week. I've never liked subs with music but this didn't sound boomy or muddy at all. It's lowest crossover point is 22Hz and allows it to get under the mains so you don't notice the sub at all. I heard the Strata III with a pair of Triangle Titus's and a Sim Audio integrated amp and CD player and the sound was huge with solid quick bass and a wide and deep stage but when the sub was taken out the stage collapsed and sounded kind of flat and nothing special.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I am also contemplating a Strata III due to the numerous excellent reviews it got. So, I would be interested how yours is working under your conditions at home. Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have 4 of them in my main system. I use 2 Storm IIIs up front for distributed ".1" and for stereo, a Q150 in the center that is just connected via the high level connection and a Strata III on the rears that is also just connected via the high level connection. It is done this way for multi-channel music bass management defining everything for music as full-range. The fronts are crossed over at 22HZ. For movies to avoid some of the phase problem the processor rolls off the bass at 35HZ on the center and surrounds. They definitely are of value to those who are more into music vs. theater. Most people on this forum would likely opt for another choice of subs that puts out more output as less cost for theater.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i absolutely love the sound of REL subs, but they have lower ouput than most. one typically isnt enough for my taste. having more than one (or 4 :emoji_thumbsup: ) is the way to go. you cant get much cleaner than REL, but you surely can get much more output. the new velodyne DD series is worth a look. they are extremely accurate (on their top models, they are rated at less than 0.5% distortion.)

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well the REL is going in my 2-channel system so output for movies isn't a factor. For HT I would probably go with SVS or a sub like that. I have to say that I haven't been this excited about a audio product since I first heard tubes!;)

Keith M.

Second Unit
I am running a Rel Q150 in my second HT system. I have it connected both high and low level. I auditioned many subs from M&K, Velodyne, DefTech, etc... For music, IMO it cant be beat. It blends beautifully with my Klipsch legend 30s. SACDs sound well balanced and not overwelmed with inappropriate low end. It NEVER bottoms out and is so small WAF is not an issue. IMO, SVS are just plain ugly, so I would never even consider them...

With movies, it seems to extend lower than even my DefTech 18+TL monster sub in my dedicated HT. It takes all I have given it and is not fatiguing/artificial to listen to.

The only negative point I could make is initial setup is a bit difficult. Patience/Experimentation is the key here... But once its dialed in, it is well worth every penny...I wish I could afford another one!!!:D :D I would replace my monster deftech with 1 or 2 of em...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks