REL Strata

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by epos, Jan 8, 2003.

1. epos

epos Auditioning

hi, i have a REL Strata subwoofer which accept high level--speaker cable or line level input. been using it on my stereo for years, now i would like to run it on my HT system.

now the problem, how to connect it to receiver? if using high level, only the bass from front ch would direct to REL, am i right to say that? if so, bass from center and surround would be lost; or would choosing large for front and small for the rest would direct all bass to REL? if this work, there would be no dedicated sub ch, good or bad? another way is to use the line level, the REL has stereo L/R input which was design to accept stereo preamp input. connect to the front ch pre-out, it would be the same scenario as the above....

can i just connect the stereo line level from REL to the mono sub pre-out on amp?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    yes to your question, you can connect the low level input of the Rel and use it as any other subwoofer. You can also connect the high level input at the same time. It has 2 sets of volume controls. With both connections, assuming your receiver has provisions for turning off the DSP and going analog direct (e.g., telling your system you have no sub), your use of the Rel will be identical to just having the high level connection you currently have and it will properly set-up fill in the bass your mains are missing. With the low level connection the crossover and division of the bass is controlled via the DSP built into the receiver and whether or not the high level input is connected is not relevant.

3. epos

epos Auditioning

thanks Phil, my REL Strata is the first gen with stereo phono line level input. how to connect to sub pre-out on amp which is mono phono?

btw, are you the same Phil from XP?

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Not sure what XP is so I guess not. You have one of the ones with the name REL carved on the enclosure which looks nice? The ".1" channel is mono so I would guess that at worst you just need a 'Y' connector for the low level input. Sumiko is pretty responsive to E-Mails. You can try Patrick Butler (I think that is his current E-Mail, Sumiko changed from ".com" to ".net":
    [email protected]
    or try this phone no. 510.406.0040

5. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

I would continue using the high level connection. Select Mains Large, Center and Rears Small, Sub No/Off.

This is the favoured connection for REL subs (particularly for previous iterations without the LFE input).

6. epos

epos Auditioning

Phil, i posted my question on forum and about the same time, another Phil was replied to my thread. [​IMG] coincidently, he also recommend using the line level input!
    Craig Morris, i dont know if the lack of dedicated .1 is a good idea. i think i will try both them to see which is better.
    thanks a lot, guys. [​IMG]

7. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

Epos,

I have a Rel Storm III and use both the line level and RCA connections (LFE). This gives me the best of both worlds. The Storm will only play LFE when it is sent this signal. This applies, for the most part, to movies. It also supports the low hz on my mains through the line level or high level input. The key is to set the crossover for the high level so that the sub picks up as the mains roll off. This will take a lot of testing to get it right. You have to listen very closely and for subtle differences. (Rel recomends the CD soundtrack from the movie sneakers, I think track4. There is a low bass tone that repeats in the begining of this. This is what I used to set the crossover.) My mains are rated down to 20hz, however, they will start their roll off much sooner. The best setting for my system, my mains, is at A2, which is at 22 or 24hz, I can't remember exactly which one, so my sub will start to kick in somwhere in the 30's or high 20's. I do not use the crossover on the rel for the LFE. That is controlled by my processor. I set this so that whatever is sent to the sub on the LFE side is played. Hope this helps

KM

8. Craig Morris

Epos,

There is nothing wrong with setting Mains to Large and Sub to Off. All LFE is re-routed to the Mains (and your sub since it's connected there). You don't lose anything.

This is how I ran my Mirage OM-6's with their built in subs.
    It's also how I run my Revel B15 which is connected to my Left and Right pre-out/main-in.

9. Kirk Mango

Craig,

No, there is nothing wrong with setting up a Rel this way, however, your mains need to be able to handle all the bass below the crossover that is on the DVD. For example, I was at a specialty store that was Playing LOTR at 3db below reference. I do have to admit that this was loud but it was below reference. The system was set up very similar to what you suggested. Mains on Large and Sub NO/OFF. (The mains where the $4000+ vienna acoustics with the silk dome tweeter.) Sub was set to support the mains below their crossover. The powerful bass in the first sequence of the LOTR DVD flattened the woofers of these speakers. The bass became flabby and distortion was very evident. This did not happen when the LFE was diverted to the REl Sub and played at reference, 3db higher than the other set up. There was just way to much bass in the lower HZ ranges for these mains to handle. I think they are rated down to 40hz.

I know everything is personal preference, however, the director put certain bass hz levels and volume levels on the LFE channel to be played through the subwoofer. That is what the sub is for. I am not sure what the advantage would be to setting sub to No/Off

I am running the Mirage OM5's up front and like your OM6's can handle all of this bass, however, most mains do not go as low as this.

KM

10. Craig Morris

Kirk,
    I believe Epos has an older model of REL that doesn't have the extensive LFE options that yours has.

I was only trying to help him get the best for his system.

I think it would be a shame to hook up his REL using the Sub pre-out... especially since it was designed to blend best using the speaker-level connection.

If he just wants bass, by all means, use the pre-out and crank the REL's crossover as high as it will go to get it out of the way.

11. Kirk Mango

Craig,

I was unaware that he had an older model. I am not familiar with there original configuration either. I did reread his post and he did Say Rel Strata without a reference to a number and they have upgraded 2 or 3 times since the original. Your post is well taken.

KM

12. epos

epos Auditioning

thanks again, guys. will try out the various option for the best result. will post them later in the day.

13. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

epos,
    Patrick Butler is definitely your first stop for good information. He's very knowledgeable and friendly. I sent him a two sentence question and got back a full page reply.
    After Patrick, check out http://www.avforums.com in the speaker and sub section for REL information. Its a UK based HT forum and quite a few members there are very familiar with the whole REL line, including the older models.

14. epos

epos Auditioning

the pre-out work, i connect to either of the 2 phono line input.

REL strata is quite fussy in placement, i could never find the best placement, even after 8 hrs. just when i thought it sounded ok, it boom or too soft to feel. the high level connection does improve the integration. unfortunately my current bookshlef speaker couldnt do the "large" setting on the front without distortion.

i recon that my Strata wont sound good if its asked to do >~60Hz. think i would get some floodstander in order for Strata to do