What's new

Rel Storm III (1 Viewer)

Keith Barnett

Auditioning
I currently run a two sub configuration. Klipsch RSW-15, and a RSW-12. Im looking to replace the RSW-12. I am going to give a Rel Storm III a listen tomorrow, and I have not been able to fine any independent reviews on the product. Im just curious if anyone has one or has had the opportunity to listen to one. Maybe you can offer an opinion or if you know where there is a good review of one that would be helpful.

Thanks

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, might want to also post over at Audioasylum, lots of REL owners over there and at Audiogon. I've heard the Storm III, a fine sub. Just not as good as the ACI Titan II that we compared it against in a rather extensive weekend test. I'd highly recommend comparing the two yourself.

Keith Barnett

Auditioning
John,

yeah the Rel is just one of the subs Im looking at. I had a chance to listen to a JL lab 900 today and I was very impressed. I would like to listen to the SVS Ultra, but I don't know anyone in Atlanta that has one, and since the only way to purchase one is directly from SVS I might have to rule that out. I just can't bring myself to make the purchase without hearing the sub first. I have a few more makes to listen to before making a decision.

Thanks for the info on the Rel. I may try the other site as long as the board is not full of Rel owners. I really want a non bias opinion.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
SVS does have a 45 day no questions asked return policy. If you decide to go with a Rel or something else after hearing the SVS you are only out shipping. I'm not sure if you are out shipping both ways or only one way. I'd email Ron for the answer to that question. Reguardless it shouldn't be more than $100.

If you are in Rel and SVS Ultra price range the peace of mind that $100 would buy you I'm sure would be worth it.

Keith Barnett

Auditioning
I thought about that. The return policy that is. In a way its a good idea because not only do I get to hear the sub, but I get to hear it in my own listening room, which is really the only way to get the true picture. Im looking for a very transparent sub, and it would seem that a sub that has as much output as the SVS Ultra would not be very transparent. This is not a negative comment so SVS owners don't take that the wrong way. Im only baseing that on the fact that it plays so loud so low. I currently use a Klipsch RSW-15, and it is not very transparent, and that is why I need two subs to balance it out. The RSW is a dynamite sub-woofer, but it takes a while to set it up just so. The JL Lab I listened to today was very nice. You could not even tell the sub was in the room except for the bass extension. if I could find one sub that would give me the output of the RSW, but blend very easy I would be happy. maybe Im asking to much. Oh well it will be fun searching.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
The REL can do things the SVS cannot... and vice versa. If HT is not as important, you are not seeking "ultimate" bass, and you want an extremely good blend with your 2 channel speakers (and want to run them full range)... the REL is a great sub.

m.

Keith Barnett

Auditioning
Dustin,

He did a good job on describing the SVS product, and the tread spoke to my very concerns. Thanks. I think I will order one and give it a listen. I just hope that its all for not. I will be bending my rule about never purchasing a piece of audio equipment without hearing it first, but with a customer satisfaction index that high I think I can be flexible.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well hopefully you can get an in home demo of the Rel after the SVS arrives. There will be lots of people here interesting in hearing your findings on the comparison.

Even if you end up keeping the Rel after the comparison and eating the shipping cost sending the SVS back. I'm sure the peace of mind (ie lack of buyers remorse with all the hype on this forum) will be worth more than that small amount of money in comparison to the those subs' purchase prices.

Keith Barnett

Auditioning
"Even if you end up keeping the Rel after the comparison and eating the shipping cost sending the SVS back. I'm sure the peace of mind (ie lack of buyers remorse with all the hype on this forum) will be worth more than that small amount of money in comparison to the those subs' purchase prices."

Absolutely on the buyers remorse. It will eat you alive LOL.

I will let you know how it works out. The Rel and the SVS are not the only subs Im looking at tho. I really liked the JL Lab sub I listened to yesterday. Getting out again today to do some more shopping.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
The REL can do things the SVS cannot... and vice versa.
I was responsible for this quote. The REL provides two methods of connection. You may have the normal RCA input from your HT processor, xover, etc. You also get a speaker level connection using three terminals of your amplifier. This essentially permits you to have two methods (and volume/xover controls) for your sub in 2 channel and HT mode. Given I put 2 channel well above HT it works beautifully for me. However, for pure HT I believe an SVS/Hsu/Paradigm/etc. would slaughter it.

M.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The REL subs that I've listened to (most of the studio line) were inadequate for my music listening, both in terms of extension and output. A small box, 10" driver & a medium-sized amp (in a typical room) will not give you a lot of bass headroom (pesky laws of physics). If you are looking for a small cabinet with a good crossover then the REL may be an option. If you are looking for performance I would consider other options. Also, I would absolutely budget a parametric EQ. Proper placement and calibration of a sub often makes the difference between exceptional sound and a boomy mess.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
The REL is basically on the order of a Hsu VTF-2 on paper, at about twice the price (that is what my Storm III worked out to... with the added benefit of a gorgeous cherry cabinet). In the realm I run it (my planars run full range and the REL sneaks in the bottom), it is an unqualified success. If I needed a different arrangement, I would look elsewhere.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks