1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

REL Storm III vs.SVS subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Newell, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Newell

Newell Extra

I'm new to this forum altough I've been a hifi (and now HT) enthusiast for more years than I care to say. I have never heard (or seen) SVS subwoofers before I joined this forum, but it seems like a vast majority of members own them.

I recently got one of those "wild hairs" (you all know what I mean) and ordered a REL Storm III sub (to go with another wild hair I got when I bought the Vienna Acoustics Bachs and Haydns...love them.

Have not received it yet...my question is: Do I have MMTS (more money than sense) with regards to the REL and should I cancel the order and get a SVS (although I think they are really ugly or perhaps "not that attractive" would be a more polite term). Power is ADCOM 7500 with a Denon AVD 2000 (no dedicated preamp). Music/HT: 30/70 mix.

I have a DefTech 15" now (the one with the 325 watt amp..15TL?), but was intrigued by the low and high level input features of the REL and the corresponding reported effect of overall improvement in my VA speakers.

Any and all comments would be appreciated. Incidentally, Katherine at Sumkimoaudio.com (the importer of REL, VA, and other products) is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with (plus, I KNOW WHERE HER PARENTS LIVE...about 45 miles away from me even though she now lives in Berzerkly, CA).

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, people here love SVS as I'm sure you can tell. If you think it's ugly, don't get it. No problem. Have you seen the new SVS SS series? You could get it to match your Vienna speakers. There are alternatives to the REL that might satisfy you just as much. You might look into the Adire Audio Dharman. It performs a tick above the highly regarded Hsu VTF-2, and looks pretty decent to boot. (don't know if that's actually better than your current DefTech sub).
    If you want something that looks even nicer and is still affordable compared to the REL, check out ACI:
    http://www.audioc.com
    They have the Titan II LE subs in now.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Newell,
    A lot depends on the size of your room and the performance expectations you're hoping for.
    For the price of the rel($1899?)...you could stretch a bit and get a full dual CS_U/S1000 package.
    Have you seen the recent review of the CS_Ultras at
    www.hometheaterhifi.com
    The crossover option on the REL may help you with some bass management issue on your mains(which receiver/processor are you using?) Adding a seperate crossover box to the SVS system could give you even greater overall flexibility in this regard though(increasing the overall price too though).
    And while it may sometime seem like *the vast majority of HTF members own SVS*...I would estimate the overall % around 2-4%.(they are just an enthusiastic 2-4% [​IMG]
    TV

4. Newell

Newell Extra

Thanks much for taking the time to respond to my post. Sorry I took so long to get back to you...holidays, etc.

In regards to your question, RE: Pre/Pro, I'm using a Denon AVD 2000 processor with an Adcom 7500 power amp. Seriously considering upgrading to a "real" pre/pro ala Outlaw 750 (if it every gets released).

I'm currently auditioning the REL Storm III and will consider your suggestions about the SVS subs (I'm sure they're awesome).

I assume you are the "V" in SVS.

Your comments/suggestions are always appreciated as I continue to learn through forums like these.

Good listening,

Newell (aka "Buddy").

5. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

I tested a Rel Storm III a while back and ran a 20hz sine wave through it. Loudest port noise I've ever heard in a sub so far! For music its good but if you're planning to watch any action packed DVD's at higher levels if surely falls hort IMHO.
    BTW-I make SVS type of performing subs(as in loud and ultra clean extention) so I think I have a very good idea how they sound. Rel Storm III is NO comparison but then again you can say you own a Rel. [​IMG]