What's new

REL Stentor....what is an SVS equal? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I don't see how this proves your point Cees. He wasn't talking about the crossover at all, ...
Mmm, on second reading I see what you meant ( I thought you wanted to imply that one was caused by the other, as in a serial circuitry).
Sorry, and my apologies!

Cees

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Don't forget every sub and the way they are integrated into a system will definitely make one a better choice than the other whether for movies and music. If the sub will be integrated at an 80hz x-over point then the SVS is the logical choice as it would be simple to add an eq in the path to help control some room induced effects. If the mains are ran full range and lower than a sub's x-over can be set (if I remember correctly the SVS lowest setting is 40 hz on the PC series) then the Rel can be used to much better effect in this fashion. Though a person may think one sub is more "musical" than the other (the implication that some are currently saying about the Rel over SVS, I've heard a few different Rels but have yet to hear a SVS yet) that does not imply that it is more accurate (sorry folks but the SVS subs, the math checks out just simply load up the WinISD and see what it takes to make a sub go low, deep, and flat; The claims I see people make about some of the small subs and how deep, tight, and loud they are makes me question about their perception about bass as real deep bass is simply felt with the upper harmonics heard). Remember not everyone wants true accuracy, it sometimes remove the illusion from some very bad source materials.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
SVS for sheer muscle or output. REL for good music & blending with high-end speakers.
The SVS Ultra that I heard easily matched my Paradigm Servo-15 in terms of musicality. When I made my purchase (before SVS existed) I found the Servo-15 was significantly better than the REL subs that I auditioned. The RELs simply did not possess the clean low end extension and output that I wanted. After learning more about speaker design I realized why. 10" drivers in a medium sized cabinet would need to break the laws of physics in order to compete with a quality 15" driver in a properly sized cabinet.

You should really order both and do a comparison. If I was spending $5k on a subwoofer I would be willing to spend $50 shipping to ensure I got the product that was the best match for my system...

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
its either the speakers produce the signal or they dont.
You forgot the 3rd, most likely option of 'reproduces signal along with increased distortion due to the linear excursion limits of the driver being reached'. Whether you use a line level or speaker level crossover you are still altering the signal. I would submit that an active crossover (line level) would be preferable because it unburdens the amplifier (resulting in lower distortion, better power handling, etc.).

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
No one seems to question the musicality of the Aerial SW12 for example, and yet, the SVS systems are almost the exact same design: vented 12" sub tuned to about 20Hz in a nice stiff enclosure. And in the case of the Ultra, the SVS has more porting and a better quality driver (if I remember Tom's hints correctly)... and that's only a single enclosure. I don't really see a reason for it to be less musical in any way, than any other vented sub.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey Micheal,

I heard the Aerial SW-12 at Soundworks in Kensington. It is an impressive subwoofer(not worth it's price, IMO), but even if money wasn't a factor, I'd keep my CS Ultra. I don't think it reaches the delicacy of the CS Ultra.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Was there any particualar reason to rule out the Velodyne HGS-18? or did I just miss it. Seems like a contender.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I will in due time conduct the great SVS experience. I will augment Magnepan 20.1 with a pair of 16-46 plus QSC 1000 x 2 Amp + Paradigm X-30 or any crossover readily available with a low-pass

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I will in due time conduct the great SVS experience. I will augment Magnepan 20.1 with a pair of 16-46 plus QSC 1000 x 2 Amp + Paradigm X-30 or any crossover readily available with a low-pass

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Bill, The REL is a great subwoofer...but I think you should consider the SVS B4+ or the Everest (Pinnacle) series by Acoustic Visions befor you drop that much money. At that price you could purchase (4) Ultras/ Crown K2 and round it off with a Rane paremetric Equalizer! The Rel is much too polite for my tastes. At least consider the others....a look is free!

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Wow, 2 and a half month old thread resurrected. By this time I'd imagine Bill already did something with his sub choice. Any update, Bill?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks