What's new

Rel Q150e -VS- Velodyne spl800 help! (1 Viewer)

Greg Schex

Agent
OK I am only thinking of getting one or the other of these two subs. Please help me decide which of these two would work better with my Def Tech Procinemas. I know about Adire, HSU, SVS etc... I just need help with these two. (Room is 3000 sq/ft open on one side music = 80% use) I have heard the Rel but never the Vel-
Rel- 10" driver, 150w Mosfet amp, variable phase, high & low level simultaneous hookup, 26 lbs, crossover 25-100hz, high & low level output adjustment (volume knobs?) $$1095.
Velodyne SPL800- 8" driver, 750w RMS & 1500w dynamic power, 0 or 180 phase, line & speaker level inputs, 35lbs., crossover 40-120hz
+'s & -'s
Rel bigger driver
vel bigger amp
Rel more options for hookup & diff settings for music or HT
Vel- higher crossover (120hz) may integrate better w/my sats
Rel more $$ (not a huge factor) THANKS for your input
:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Why aren't you considering the SPL-1000 or SPL-1200? You could get the SPL-1200 new for $775. (Was the SPL-800 consideration because of the article that Dan Kumin wrote? That was a biased article for pushing the sats, and that was unofficially stated by Velodyne.)

The only real way to tell is to get both and audition in your room. Since you've narrowed it down to two, it's just now a simple side by side comparsion to find the best one for you.

Greg Schex

Agent
No my main consideration is a height limit in the space in which I am putting the sub - 12.6" is my upper limit which limits my choices. There are a few other contenders in this size but I am trying to narrow it down to these two. I think they are both good subs and I won't go wrong with either one but was hoping to hear some voices of experience.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
Roger do you have a link for that review?

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, 12.6"! No, I don't have personal experience with either ones you mentioned. I don't have a link, but I think it was in the latest Sound & Vision magazine or the month before. In it Dan Kumin review the velo satellites and they/he chose the smallest SPL-nnnn to complete the satellite system, thereby donwplaying the spl-1200, even fudging the specs for it.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member

Arron H

Second Unit
Couldn't you just slide the components that are under the TV under your rack components and put an Adire Rava under the TV? Ideal placement for a Rava is between the mains and it is only 18" tall. Just a thought.

Greg Schex

Agent
Thanks for your interest! Dustin thanks for putting the pic up for me, it's the next best thing to having friends over to help:) So far, besides the help here I've been on my own:frowning: The area under the TV has a cabinet w/doors on it which isn't shown and it is 13.5" high. I may leave the doors off when I re-install it as the open door would "clog" the sub. The people who lived here before had the stereo and in-walls on the opposite side of the room, I remember when we wanted to buy this place I said "where will my stereo go?" really it was my only problem with the place.:crazy: My Boston VR 970's now are in my bedroom
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
plenty of juice in there!! Roger, I looked at S&V from April and that article is in there and yes I saw it, he did seem to say there wasn't much difference in the 12" or the 8" - yeah sure ! :rolleyes: Really I think both Vel & Rel are good subs. Dustin or (other experts) how's the math on subs? 8" x 750 watts compared to 10" x 150 watts ?? or is ther way more to it than that;) Mosfet amp or "ERS" amp:confused: THANKS GUYS!

Greg Schex

Agent
Forgot to add- if I raise the rack it blocks the tv and the speaker, that's as high as I could mount it! (The rack is from Vogels)

Arron H

Second Unit
Greg,

Do you mean 3000 cu/ft or 300 sq/ft (3000 sq/ft is preety large)? I'm not sure that the Q150e would be a good fit for either a 3000 cubic foot room or 300 sq/ft room. I was interested in the Q150e at one point and the salesperson suggested the Strata III for my 1792 cubic foot (224 sq/ft)living room rather than the Q150. That being said, the Q150e blended really well with the Vienna Acoustics Haydns that it was paired with when I auditioned it. Preety seamless and unobtrusive.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Rava isn't shielded. Would really screw up the picture on his TV
Dave, do you have any reasonably accurate distance numbers as to how close an unsheilded sub can be to a Direct View?
Obviously it will depend on magnet strength and peak electical impulse and with smaller subs it might be a bit closer than with the Big Boys.
I beleive Greg earlier stated that he had 22" or so, from the corner of the sub to the bottom of the TV.
Does anyone have any experienc with this?
The SPL-800 is "not" video sheilded. I am not sure about the REL.
If a non-sheilded sub will work, I would still recommend the "higher output" of the SuperNova 10" or possibly another idea might be 2 (as in two) Baby Boomers from Pinnacle (two 8 inch woofers in each SUB)
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/babyboom.htm
Most anything less will probably get "lost" in that space except for rather light listening. To give you some perspective on 3000 square feet that is almost the size of 4 (yes FOUR) racquetball courts (800 sq ft each)
John Casler

Greg Schex

Agent
OOPS Yes, I meant cubic feet :D my whole house isn't even 3000 sq ft! The room is about 17 l x 15 w x 12.5 h with very hard surfaces and lots of glass by the seating area which you can't see in the photos. FWIW I just got back from the stereo shop:b and he didn't think 22" from tv would be a problem as far as shielding goes. I just got another pair of DT pro cinemas to run as B speakers in the kitchen dining area. That should help fill the house when I am partying :D I could even put another sub in the kitchen area but it wouldn't help with HT. I love my music and am leaning to REL or VEL cause I keep hearing they "have speed, are musical, blend seamlessly etc.." I want just want a full rich sound not broken windows :emoji_thumbsup: John, I have a Velodyne brochure which says the Vel SPL 800 is shielded.

Greg Schex

Agent
John you are right (of course) I'll contact Velodyne if it helps. I wish we could find a graph of the Rel I am curious as to cone size x amp output to see what's what. John any comments on the speed of the EQ? Remember for me it's 80% music but I also love a good explosion as much as anyone!

Arron H

Second Unit
When I auditioned the Q150, the explosion factor was not there. It seemed like a very nice musical sub that integrated seamlessly with the Haydns but I would not recommend it for HT, especially in a 3000 cu/ft room. I would be willing to bet you would be more pleased with the Velo SPL series if you want both seamless musical integration & decent HT. The REL Q150e is best suited for music only in a small room, 1500 cu/ft or less.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Greg,
Glad we got the room size cleared up, I though you lived in a mansion. :D
The point about what the sub sees (or has to fill) still stands however since the walls are open. Essentially the sub has to fill the cubic space that is surrounded by walls.
Granted, the closer you are to the sub the greater the SPLs, but without walls, floors, and ceilings to reinforce, direct, and contain the sound waves, the SPL drops off.
Now as far as the SuperNova 10", it is as fast or faster than either of the subs you are considering. Speed can be caused by many factors, such as low mass, large amp, Sub design, etc. With the EQ/SN 10" you have all of the factors needed to play both the subtle nuances of music and provide the large dynamics of HT. :emoji_thumbsup:
Regards
John Casler

Arron H

Second Unit
Greg,

What's up with the rest of your room? Could you put a slightly larger sub next to a sofa? How about the back of the room? It seems like with 3000 cu/ft room you should have more options.

Greg Schex

Agent
Arron. I thought of that too. The room has a high ceiling (12.5 ft.)w/ no attic or space above which adds alot to the size. Also note the hardwood floor and that it's my second floor. These were big challenges to even getting rear speakers!! The room even has six sides with one end being open (pictured) Actually it IS possible to run another woof but I am hoping to avoid it. I could even run one off my "b" speakers which are in the dining area behind the open wall but don't think that would help w/ HT. The music/HT already sounds GREAT :b with no woof so it's only gonna get better. I just don't want to hear that obnoxious rattle/thud that some cars driving by sound like but clean bass. :emoji_thumbsup: but,don't we all?? I'll take more pics if interested. My "rear" speaker placement is a comprimise due to the room but so far so good. (PS I did the laser pointer thing and it helped!)

Arron H

Second Unit
Greg,
Space issues are always tough. Your 255 sq/ft floorspace can go preety fast. The 6 walls probably make for an odd shaped room with limited furniture arrangements. My best advice to you is to audition both the Q150e and the SPL800 in your home if at all possible before you purchase. See if you can bring the subs home for the night. Calibrate from your listening area using VE, Avia, S&V, etc. Take some readings on both subs to see which one has the best output in your room. You be the judge on which sub integrates the best with your speakers. Use a variety of your favorite DVDs and CDs for reference material. Also, you should try some of the Carver subs and the Earthquake subs in your home if at all possible. The sub is so important - do yourself a favor and audition as many as you can in your home before you purchase.
I purchased & returned 3 subs before finally settling on the Adire Rava. It's really a pain to return products no matter how good the return policy of the company you purchase from. Audition, Audition, Audition - in home if at all possible ;) I keep stressing in home auditioning because dealer showrooms are so different than your actual listening area. Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks