REL or YAMAHAwhich sub do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i am deciding between the rel 100e or 150e or the yamaha yst-sw800. I have looked at reviews on the net and magazines etc and have found that nobody has a bad word to say about either of the rel models but there seems to be mixed feelings about the yammy. that would make the choice obvious apart from the price. the cheapest i have seen the rels for are £495 but the yamaha is only £350. What would be your recommendation. If it were to be rel then which one out of the two would you say was the better.

thanks in advance

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Richard,
    How large is your room?
    Could you audition either for a weekend before commiting to the purchase?
    I haven't heard much on the Yammy, but the RELs are always noted as being *musical*(FWTW to you [​IMG] ). Are there any others you can consider?(Paradigm pw2200 or Hsu VTF-2 for example?)
    TV

3. Richard cash

my room is about 2000 cubic feet, i would be able to audition the rels but not the yamaha as this would be purchased over the net. I haven't seen the paradigm pw2200 but have had experience with the company. I previously owned a pdr-10 but found it lacked power although quality at low volumes was excellent.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Richard- Caveat: I have never heard either of these subs.

But, I have a much more favorably view of Rel as a sub-maker in general than Yamaha. (Based on many years of readin' the hi fi/HT rags, forums like this, my perception of "high end", etc.) In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a Yamaha sub reviewed. I've seen quite a few Rel's reviewed over the years, and I agree, one word that keeps coming up is "musical", smooth, warm, etc...

5. Nathan Hamstra

At first I thought this post was a joke, honestly, but I guess that REL has started to make some cheaper subs now. In my opinion, from my reading, HSU Research and REL are the two best sub makers out there. In my opinion, it's kind of a no brainer, but I'm not spending the money. I have owned Yamaha speakers, but no Yamaha subs.

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I would definitely audition the PW2200 before making a commitment to either of the others.

TV

7. Richard cash

new developments: i can get a rel Q100 for £400, but have seen a paradigm servo 15 for £500. from what some of you have said the yamaha is out of the question so i have given up on that. I haven't been able to find anyone that sells the pw2200 sub but looking at the paradigm website it looks as though the servo 15 is better.

Any more opinions are welcome

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Richard, if your onto the Q100 and the Servo 15 I would say your moving a good step up. I've heard the Q100 (I believe that was it or a Q150) and it is a nice sub especially for the size. There are many good reviews for it.

The Servo 15 price your getting is pretty good considering it has to be imported into the UK from Canada. The Servo 15 has been Stereophile Class B for quite some time. It'll probably give you higher SPL's compared to the Q100 but I don't have hard figures for you. I've heard this one as well in a demo room and its smooth and fast because of the servo.

Both are good, if you can audition them it wouldn't be a waste of your time.

Patrick

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Richard- The Paradigm Servo 15 is a great sub.

10. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

If your comparing Servo 15 to Rel Q series, keep in mind the size difference. Servo 15 20 x 18 x 21.75 (in) verses Q150E 11.43 x 11.43 x 13.01 (in). This may not be important to you but just thought I would mention it.

11. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Also, 500 UK for a Servo 15 seems like an almost unbelievable value. They list at around $1,500 USD.

12. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Yeah, that is half the MSRP. I would not hesitate to pick it up for that price assuming it is actually new and from a reputable seller. Heck, that is a good used price. And yes, the Servo is a magnificent sub.

13. DavidRM

DavidRM Auditioning

REL REL REL!!! Sorry but the answer seems simple. If you have the money for the Rel it will make all the difference in the world. Most people want more bass for there movies and nice tight bass for music and end up changing the settings, but if you get a Rel you will not have to adjust anything. It makes the transition smoother than any sub I have heard. Get the STORMIIIB if you have no budget or the Q150E if you want a step down.

14. ClaudeD

ClaudeD Extra

If you are getting roughly equal discounts, I would vote for REL (I've been very happy with my Strata II for quite a while). OTOH, if you're getting some killer discount on another quality sub, that might sway the equation.

Claude

15. Richard cash

I have opted for the servo-15 as i got this at an extra special discount price of £350. Thanks for your input everyone.