REL and Velodyne DD

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frances_H, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Frances_H

Frances_H Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

I am in the process of getting another sub for main system, to replace a REL Storm III which will be moved into my two channels system. I really love how the Storm blends in with the rest of my system, and I would have gone with another REL if Sumiko had not discontinued to carry the ST series in the US. Having said that, I've been doing some research and are quite impressed with the Velodyne DD series, specifically DD-12/DD-15 (at least, based on feedback and reviews from others). My main use would be about 75% music and 25% movies/HT.

Questions: Does anyone have compared these two? Could I expect a comparable experience between the two? Specifications aside, would Velodyne be a good alternatives to REL's ability to blend in?

TIA,
    Frances

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

rels are able to be crossed over really really low, i think starting from like 20hz in 1hz increments, therefore not needing an active crossover to blend in with the mains. How are you going to be hooking up the velodyne? Are you going to crossover the mains like around 50-80hz?? I would think the rels would blend in better if you are going to use the natural roll-off of the main speakers.

3. Frances_H

well, that's the part that I am hoping someone might be able to chime in. I cross-overed the Rel at 60Hz right now, the intention for the Velo would be to set it up identically, assuming that it can be set-up as such. Would a Velodyne DD share similar traits with the Rel? in terms of bass quality? thanks.

4. Frances_H

ok, since my question doesn't seem to get the responses that I hope to hear, let me rephrase it, to the owners of Velodyne DD 12/15: for critical music listening (including Hirez), have you been able to speak of its sonic qualities (positive/negative/indifference) compared to your previous subs, if any? the key requirement for me is its ability to complement the main speakers (Polk LSi15) in the HT setup (and it goes without saying, tight, deep, and solid bass). Thanks again for your feedback.

Frances

5. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

I think you are moving in the right direction. I think using a DD with the servo setting on max and room equed for flat frequency, you are going to have a marvelous sounding sub. How it would compare to other subs depends one what kind of subs you are talking about. I think it has the edge of non servo subs, especially at higher volumes.

6. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i would suggest the DD series. although ive heard the REL's many times, they dont have the "balls" for some music and for a lot of HT. you can do dual REL's and get some of it, but a DD will still have that extra grab to it.

that said, the DD can integrate better into a system than a REL IMO... the DD has the onscreen eq that can show your transition point between speakers and sub. this is CRITICAL for blending the two. you can make the sub disappear very easily. it is very clean, detailed and transparent when setup right (takes a LOT of time, get it from a velodyne dealer and have them set it up if they are trained, its well worth it).

7. Frances_H

thanks, guys! I supposed it is time head out to Tweet...