What's new

Reinstalling XP: pointers please! (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Due to a partitioning problem, I'm going to format and reinstall XP Pro. I'm going to backup my documents, outlook mailboxes, downloaded programs, favorites and desktop.

Any other things that I overlooked?? Any other tips??

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what mail program; of course, always back up PST (if Outlook) or just copy your folder if Eudora, etc.

Favorites, Desktop, My Documents.. that's the biggies. After that, it's largely up to you if you've got data stored elsewhere.

Sometimes it's easier to use a program like Nero BackItUp! but doing it straight to DVD-R/CDR has always been smart by me ;)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Make sure you've got all your drivers available and all the Microsoft patches. That way you wont get whacked by Blaster or Sasser when you're trying to download them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I should have added another way that is often much easier..

Run the WindowsXP Files & Transfer wizard. Tell it you're machine is the "OLD" machine, and that you want to store your files in a directory (create a directory anywhere) let it do it's work, then burn off everything there (IT MUST BE IN THE USMT.2 type folder, you must keep the folder structure) and then just restore it after you format/etc.. all your settings, favorites, and documents will be preserved.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm actually done formatting/reinstalling XP and am also done with reinstalling most of the programs.

My HD is a lot better organized now and my machine is slightly quicker. Not much drama during the entire process (which is good) but it's been a long day.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Good for you Ari. I actually just had to reinstall XP last week and forgot 2 things: My email profile (I use Thunderbird so it wasn't in the regular Microsoft section) and my icon that I set aside for my user name. Other then that, it was a clean install like you had.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
A good thing to do is use a "ghosting" program to create a reinstall build CD (or DVD) that you can use to simplify the process. That way, you can easily reinstall XP with service packs and patches, as well as basic programs. It's a good idea to reinstall on regular basis (~6-9 months) anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks