What's new

Reinstalled XP, now I can't play DVDs in WMP (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hello,

It seems I followed a fad here lately and reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, because it was giving me some trouble.

However, I now can't play DVDs anymore! I used to be able to play them in Media Player XP. I downloaded Windows Media Player 9 today and that won't play them either. I also noticed that Real One Player should play DVDs too, but it won't. I do get sound from them, but no picture.

I read in the help section of WMP9 that I might need a hardware or software decoder to play DVDs? Could this be my problem? If I can't play them now, though, why could I before? It should be noted that at one point I had PowerDVD installed, maybe that provided the necessary software.

Currently, I have a Hardware Cinemaster C decoder card for TV out in my computer, which is a hardware decoder I believe. Is this helping me out at all? Perhaps the reason why I can at least get sound from my DVDs?

If all I need is some other DVD software to make it work in WMP9, fine, but I would like to know for sure. Also, is any of this software free?

Thanks for any input,
Todd

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah you need a DVD decoder plug-in installed for WMP to play DVD. They aren't free unfortantly. I'm guessing you were able to play them before because you had PowerDVD installed. Try reinstalling it. Or you can buy one here.

Todd K

Second Unit
OK, thanks, this is good information.

Without one of these DVD decoder packs, should I even be getting sound, as I am now? Or is this a result of having this Hardware Cinemaster software on my computer?

And do I need the specific software linked above, or can I just install the normal full retail version of PowerDVD to get it to work in WMP9? I downloaded the PowerDVD demo version and the DVDs still wouldn't play in WMP.

Thanks again,
Todd

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
You probably need the full version. I have the full version installed and WMP9 playes dvds fine on my machine.

Todd K

Second Unit
Well, the friend of mine who originally set my computer up ages ago told me he put WinDVD's Xpack on there (unbeknownst to me), so that could explain why I was able to view the DVDs before.

I will try to install that again, and if WMP still won't play DVDs, I'll come back here. Thanks fo your advice, both of you.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks