Reign of Fire Trailer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Reign of Fire Trailer - Minor Spoilers

This looks to be attached to The Scorpion King, which I reviewed in another thread. I'm still in awe of I saw in the trailer last night, but I'll try to recall it to the best of my knowledge.

The trailer opens with this kid walking down the street in sunny London, 2028 or 2038. There's obviously some sort of construction work going on with the Underground (London subway). The kid approaches this green tinted pebbled surface that has been uncovered by the work. He leans over and tentatively touches it...

A title card comes up that says something to the effect of: from the writer and producer of the X-Files... (I probably got some of that wrong..)

A voiceover begin speaking out about powerful creatures that are older than the dinosaurs. It was about this time that I realized what the trailer was about and kind of lost track of what the voiceover was saying.. I remember a shot of a guy reaching into a large creature, and pulling out what could have been an translucent egg or maybe a heart...

Cut to: shots a city in ruins, some years in the future. A man is walking in between these massive shapes, that we soon see are the heads of slain dragons.

Many atmospheric shots, straight out of Aliens. Soldiers hunting, or being hunted, by something. Swooping shadows...

And then, DRAGONS, flying, swooping... One lands and blasts away with fire, as its target jumps over a wall to safety.

A shot of a group of kids, dirty, frightened from living under that shadow of the dragons.

We get the impression that there's a final, massive effort by the human forces to take back what's left of the world. Men with rifles on horseback. Surface to air missiles being fired at a dragon thats obviously been led into a trap. Lines of tank, headed into battle. Helicopters, and some kind of stunt involving skydivers as bait. (At least, that's what it seemed like to me.)

One main character rallying the troops "These are not magical creatures. They are flesh and blood..." Too cool.

And the dragons... Vermithrax Penjorative times 10. We only see three or four in the trailer, but there's no doubt as to how big, or dangerous they are, or what they look like.

I hope this trailer hits the net soon, along with pics of the dragon-slaying action...

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sounds interesting, Stephen! Having lotsa dragons in a movie is always a good thing!
    Except in Dungeons & Dragons. A dragon with the voice of Sean Connery couldn't have saved that pile of poop.
    Reign of Fire hits screens on July 12th. It stars Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, and Gerard Butler and is directed by Rob Bowman (The X-Files: Fight the Future and -if memory serves- several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation).
    The Reign of Fire page at UpcomingMovies.com classifies this one as "Mad Max meets Dragonslayer" - which (to me) means it's either going to be very cool, or it could be monumentally awful a la Battlefield Earth. (Think about it: dragons in a post-apocalyptic setting? I'm not saying it couldn't work; just that it sounds kinda wacky.) [​IMG]
    If you'd like to see the official site (which does have the trailer), just click on over here! [Edit: After searching through the official site, I discovered that the trailers are NOT up yet. Sorry.]
    Few things are as entertaining as scouting the big summer flicks! [​IMG]

3. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think the date on the trailer may be wrong (I hope). Everything I've read about the film states that it starts in present-day (the kid walking in sunny London) but that the bulk of the story takes place in 2024, after dragons have blasted much of civilization to burnt char.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
  6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Fantastic one-sheet. Thanks for the link.[​IMG]

7. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

It's a cool trailer...kind of reminds me of Dragonheart meats Saving Private Ryan though. [​IMG]