What's new

Reign of Fire/Mummy III (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I happened to watch BRs of these films on consecutive nights. I had not seen the MIII before but had read the disappointing reviews.

On the first night it was Reign of Fire. I think I've read reviews that this movie had a limited budget and it shows. Watching the movie does not give you that impression. Only after wards, with the review comment in mind, can I find examples of budget limitations. The movie does not have a cast of thousands, much of the movie is confined to one locale, and I suspect not a lot was spent building vast sets.

That aside, it is a hugely entertaining movie, as long as you can accept it's premise (spoilers follow) that dragons do exist, they breath humongous fire and eat what they burn, they multiply like rabbits, and there is only one male dragon. The cgi dragons were very well done.

The acting is uniformly good. Matthew McConaughey is a bit "over the top" but I enjoyed his performance, and I'm no fan of MM. Christian Bale was also very good.

I liked the contrast between the two factions in the story: one is eking out an existence, hoping to simply outlast the dragons, while the other is taking active steps to kill them. One of their strategies using helicopters and skydivers, while absurd, within the movie, makes some sense. The high attrition rate of these "arch angles" reminded me of WWII bomber crews. Weren't they not expected to last 10 missions?

If I remember correctly, this movie had a low profile at the box office and didn't do that well. What a shame. I own the BR, good for me.

MIII made of big deal out of taking the franchise in a new direction. Yeah, it took it down. So they made the mummy Chinese, big deal. The movie opens exactly the same way as the previous two, telling the tale of how the mummy was created. If they had made a carbon copy of the first movie with all the chemistry intact, it would have been better than this effort.

A terrible script and acting to match. The chemistry between Rick and his new Evie was non-existent. Maria Bello just didn't work for me and I was prepared to accept another actress in the role. Brendan Fraser should be nominated for a Razzie for this role.

This movie was just a structure to hang some big action sequences on. Unfortunately there was no involvement on my part with the characters. I would have cared about the same if they had just stuck in some life-size card board figures. Come to think of it, that describes the acting.

Back in the first movie they made a big mistake...they killed off Bennie. I loved that character and would liked to have seen him return.

This was a rental, good for me.

IMHO, of course.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reign of Fire has always been a fave of mine. Once I get a BR player, that will likely be one of the first discs I buy. According to BOMojo, the budget was around $60 million, which is pretty low for a sci-fi FX action film, especially with some decent "name" actors. Worldwide gross was about $82 million, so it probably broke even or made a small profit after home video sales.

I agree with most of what you said about M3, but I think I enjoyed it a little more than you did. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm glad you like ROF. One thing I forgot to mention about was how well they gave you glimpses of life after the dragons have destroyed everything. In particular, the stage play they put on of Star Wars was very telling. That little kids would be so entranced by something so low-tech lets you know these kids have never seen a tv, much less an Ipod.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
ROF is one of my favorites also, and it played twice on Spike (I think) and watched both occassions. Remember the dragons did half of the damage and man did the rest fighting the dragons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks