Rehashing the "Band of Brothers" DVD talk

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarkHastings, Jun 16, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I did a search and found SO many discussions about "Band of Brothers" that I couldn't decide where to start, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I didn't have HBO when this was on and I've been waiting to watch the DVD's when I knew I had a lot of time to watch them all together.

I just watched all 10 episodes over the weekend (1-4 on Fri. night and 5-10 on Sat. night), and all I can say is WOW!!!! Why didn't I watch this SOONER!????

Truly amazing. I found myself wanting to watch the next episode IMMEDIATELY after the one I just watched (even at 3am when I was DEAD tired).

I'm sorry I missed out on all the original discussions about this series before [​IMG]

Again, truly mesmerizing! And this is coming from a guy who has a hard time sitting down for half hour shows. I couldn't believe that I actually sat through 6 hours straight of this stuff on Sat. night and I wasn't bored at ALL.

WOW!

2. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad you enjoyed watching them. I watched all the episodes as they came out and then watched the DVD set when it first came out over a couple of days. Just recently I watched the whole series straight through with a friend who had never seen it. We started about noon and watched every episode. It was my first chance to watch them with the DTS soundtrack (recently bought a new player). I never seem to get tired of BOB or From the Earth to the Moon (Another great HBO mini-series).

Did you get a chance to watch the documentary "We Stand Alone Together"? It is great as well.

3. MarkHastings

4. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Excellent series! Glad you liked it too! Caught it first run on HBO, then the rerun 6 months later, then preordered the DVD set the day it was available. Simply incredible.

I just about cried when Guarnere got taken out. His transition from a man filled with pain and anger to a brother that could be counted on was gripping to me.

I'd actually like to see another one like it, focused on some other important group, recognizing their efforts, contributions, and sacrifices to freedom.

I want to skip out on work and go watch it again now. [​IMG]

I recommend that you go pick up the novel also. It fleshes out the entire story:

Amazon.com

-Seth

5. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yes, Defintely an excellent series. If not the best I've ever seen.

My next stop is "From The Earth To The Moon", which I hear is also a very good look at the early years of the space program.

6. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I can't recommend "From The Earth To The Moon" enough. It's a fantastic series for anyone with even a passing interest in the Apollo space program.

Probably my most treaured DVD set.

7. James St

James St Supporting Actor

BOB was awesome. I haven't seen it in a while though. Need to put it on my "re-watch" list. I've seen From the Earth to the Moon several times on HBO but never got it on dvd. Anyone know where the best place to get is? Best Buy has it for the full $100. A little steep.

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I absolutely loved BOB-like the Sopranos and Six Feet Under, it's yet another HBO series that I can watch a dozen episodes in one day. As far as FTETTM, I recently got it on DVD and saw it for the first time. I enjoyed it, but not as much as BOB. There were several episodes of FTETTM that were very moving, but the last couple seemed to fall flat IMO. Still a great series though, and a major achievement in mini-series TV.

9. MarkHastings

I went grocery shopping on Sunday and as I was leaving, there was a war veteran sitting at a table with a donation jar (and those little fake flowers). I usually throw my change in those jars (if I have it) or sometimes just walk by, but this time I gave a dollar bill. In fact, I almost felt the urge to give the guy a big hug.

Good stuff.