Regular house insulation

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Hurtado, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Robert Hurtado

We're building an addition to our house and the contractor only insulates the outside walls so it passes inspection. I wanted to insulate the interior walls and floor to help reduce room to room noise. I don't want to install resilient channels because they would charge us more for the drywall installation.

What's a good cheap insulation material for 2x4 constructions? Does the higher r-value usually correspond to a higher sound transmission value? I noticed they had a few packs of r-19 insulation that said "acoustical insulation". Should I buy some of those instead of the regular home depot insulation? You don't really need a vapor barrier for interior walls right.

What type/thickness of insulation should I get for the I-Joist between the 1st and 2nd floor?

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Fiberglass insulation is a poor choice for stopping sound (although it's better than nothing). I don't think the "accoustical" insulation is better than the normal stuff. Other choices include

Dual layers of drywall.
    Mass loaded Vinyl. (goes between two drywall sheets
    Mineral fiber insulation. (a good choice for between joists)
    Dual wall type construction.
    In addition to Resilient channel. All of these will cost some money, however.

3. Robert Hurtado

Is it less expensive to install resilient channel instead of mineral fiber or fiberglass insulation taking into account the amount of work put into it?

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I didn't use resilint channel because I was not familer with how to install it. A pro drywall outfit should be. As long as it's a reasonable charge, I would take advantage of it.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I used off the shelf R-13 and then 2 layers of drywall (5/8" over 1/2").