Registry Editing Help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dome Vongvises, May 29, 2004.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

May 13, 2001
    Let's face it: my sister's an idiot. She does this email thing where she supposedly earns money with all these clicks she makes. Problem is, she goes to these websites, and programs end up downloading on the web browsing computer. No matter what we try, it seems like a few programs are enbedded in the computer and refuse to be deleted. I'm sure there are some registry edits I can do to get rid of it (one nasty bug prevented me from editing my internet options [​IMG] ). Does anybody have a list of things you should look for the registry edit that shouldn't be there?

Other problems I have are my dad's web browser hijacked by dumb search engines and what not.
  2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mar 24, 1999

You probably know the names of them already, but sometimes removing them from the registry won't work, as they'll just reload. Just so you'll know.

Basically, you have to either do a search, and then delete the entire line, or section. The slower way is to search through the software sections (there are 2 of them) and delete those as well.

Make sure that her start-up directory is clean too.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Feb 29, 2000
    If it's really bad get one of those Registry Cleaners that will search out terms and group reg files together. Boot in Safe Mode, delete all you can and restart.

As for getting rid of the programs just do a Google search for "removing ....." and more likely than not thousands of people have already asked this question and there are several answers.

Follow that with Spybot + Ad-aware, make Mozilla Firefox your Dad's default browser, defrag, and you should be good.