Regionless PC Software

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will*M, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Will*M

Will*M Extra

Anybody know of any software available for PC DVD-Roms that is without region coding?

2. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Will:

If you're talking about software in general, region coding doesn't apply to standard DVD-Roms. Region coding only applies to movie disks.

John.

3. Will*M

Will*M Extra

Jon:

Sorry should have been more specific, is there any sort of playback software (such as PowerDVD etc.) that is region free. Most, if not all software players for your PC allow you to change regions, but only 5 times after that you are locked into whatever region you last pick. What I'm trying to discover is there anything out there that doesn't lock into one region or bypasses etc, so I can use what outer region DVDs I have in my PC. Thanks.

4. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

This can be more complicated than mere switching regions.. Try downloading DVDGenie , so that you can switch regions as many times as you like.
    However, DVD-Rom drives can use firmware that disallows more than five region switches before it's locked.A small program called driveinfo will tell you whether you have such a drive, or not. If so, then you will need to change the firmware on the DVD-Rom drive itself using a flashing utility. (Please note that this will void any warranty that you may have on the drive. And that this shouldn't be attempted unless you are competent at understanding PCs.)
    Regards,
    Scott.

5. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Will, Scott:

All DVD-Rom drives manaufactured after 1999 will have the firmware that limits the number of region changes. I did check out at one time what it would take to flash my Creative DVD drive, and it wasn't that complicated...BUT, from my research, each drive type is potentially different, and (for my drive at least), requires changing the position of the drive on the IDE cable. I would agree with Scott that this is probably not something you want to take lightly. Of course, DVD-Roms are cheap these days, and the replacement cost is less than getting a region-free player if your PC is your primary viewing source.

John.

6. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

right I flashed (ie made it multiregion) my DVDrom drive last week. first u need to find out what drive manufacturer and firmware u have then u need to downlod the multiregion firmware. in Dos u need then to install the new firmware so that your DVDrive is not locked anymore. then u also need to get rid of any software based locks.
    Now I don't know how much I can tell u about it on this site but if u need more detailed info send me a PM
    HTH