Region Question (PAL vs. NTSC

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Qui-Gon John, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have a copy of Robin Hood:Men in Tights I bought online. It is R2 and PAL.

DISCLAIMER: The following question is about making a backup for my own private use only. If this is not allowed, I apologize in advance. If any moderator sees this and thinks it's outside of HTF guidelines, please just delete this thread and send me a PM. Then I won't ask again. Thanks. [​IMG]

Anyway, does anyone know any software I could use to make a backup copy of this, that would be NTSC? I really don't intend to get into the multi-region market, so getting a player capable of playing another region and PAL, for just this one title, is really not worth it.

If I can't find a way to do this, I'll just wind up waiting to buy a R1 release, I'm sure one will happen eventually. It's just I've been sitting on this disc for a couple years now, not able to watch it.

Thanks to all who can help!

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Just a note: You can pop it into your computer and watch it - computer's don't care if the encoding is PAL or NTSC.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Yeah, a computer is really the only way for you to watch it, outside of a multi-region player.

There is no way to create a simple backup and make it NTSC. That would require expensive hardware or software to re-encode the movie. At that point it would be much easier, let alone cheaper, to get a multi-region, multi-system DVD player.

-Christian

PS: You're computer will notice it's a region 2 disc and ask to change the setting of the DVD drive to region 2. You will have to do this; you can change it back to region 1 afterwards. But you can only change the region on the drive a total of 5 times, then it's stuck on the region you set it to last.

4. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Get the freeware driver 'DVD43' it runs in the background and lets most media players play any region discs with out having to change the settings in your DVD-Rom. 'AnyDVD' works better but costs money.

--Ian

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

FYI, multiregion players can be had for around $20-$30. I have a Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 which cost around $25, and works pretty well.