What's new

Region Free with Video Converter (1 Viewer)

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know of a 5 disc dvd changer that has progressive scan and is region free with a built in video converter? This sounds too good to be true but if anyone knows of one or a good place to find great region free players let me know.

Thanks,
DF

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Not too good to be true at all. Been around for awhile now.

JVC XV-M5GSL 5 disc DVD changer.

Has everything you're looking for. $289 from www.220-electronics.com

Do a search and you might find it cheaper.

I have an older model JVC 7 disc player with similar features that has been very good to me. You might still be able to find this as well, model #XV-FA900BK for black or XV-FA902SL for silver. I bought mine from HKflix.com but I didn't see it on their website any longer.

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Jay what do you think of the player you have? Have you had any problems with PAL discs or discs from any other regions. Give me a rating from 1 to 10

Thanks,
DF

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The JVC is a very good unit, nice PAL to NTSC conversion, built in picture adjustment controls, good overall pic quality. I have dozens of PAL discs and discs from other regions, never had one that didn't play. Absolutely no problems with the player. I no longer use my JVC and it was just moved to storage. I've replaced it with a LiteOn LVD-2001 for most viewing, and a Toshiba SD-4900 for DVD-Audio. The Toshiba DVD-Audio is not as good as the JVC, but I just no longer had room in my rack for the much larger JVC (which is over 2 times the height of the Toshiba).

Always hard to rate these things on a 1 to 10 scale, but compared to the best 480P players I've tried, the JVC is certainly a couple notches back, but the best player I've tried also cost me $800.

Probably purely on picture quality I'd give it a 7. I would give my Toshiba SD-4900 which also does PAL to NTSC and plays all regions a 7.5 (and only costs $90) and give my Pioneer Elite DV-37 (which only does NTSC region 1) an 8+ for pic quality. A 9.5+ would be reserved for my LiteOn LVD-2001 using its 1080i output--only losing a fraction of point for less than perfect deinterlacing and a couple other minor problems like slight right side ghosting (which is only visible when sitting very close to my RPTV).

For all the players I've mentioned here, only the JVC is a multi-disc unit. I know Toshiba also made a player, I think it's the SD-3815, that is multi-disc and can play PAL discs and be made region free. Don't know where it can be bought now. HKFlix used to sell it, but no longer show it on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks