What's new

Region Free Question (1 Viewer)

David L. Gold

Auditioning
Will the CyberHome allow pitch control for correction of the PAL speed-up with NTSC converted programming?

That's the only thing left to make this my machine for the future!

Luis S

Supporting Actor
David trust us there is PERFECT conversion with PAL discs.Such tweaking is not a necessary feature for this machine that Ive noticed so far.Try it and see for yourself,you wont be dissapointed :emoji_thumbsup: And if ti doesnt perform as youd expect,simply return it and get your money back.Im waiting for my Conan R4 to get here! That makes 2 other region dvds! I now have a new addiction.... :D
Luis S

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Will the CyberHome allow pitch control for correction of the PAL speed-up with NTSC converted programming?
It doesn't have a pitch control. FWIW, I haven't noticed a problem with the audio on PAL discs like I have with other machines. Granted, those were hooked up to a DPL receiver using analog while the 500 is now hooked up to a 5.1 receiver using digital coax. I don't know how much of a difference that would make though.

David L. Gold

Auditioning
Well, I bought the Cyberhome progressive scan and did a side-by-side comparison with my Daewoo and found the following:
The CyberHome-----
1) The region hack on CH is quick, easy, and flawless. :emoji_thumbsup:
2) Easy switching from Progressive to Analog :emoji_thumbsup:
3) PAL discs show full-screen better than on my Daewoo (my Daewoo seems to compress the image a tad, and I get a black section on the bottom of my screen) :emoji_thumbsup:
4) Noticed NASTY pixelation on my movies in analog mode. :thumbsdown:
The Daewoo-----
1) The region hack is quick, easy, and flawless. :emoji_thumbsup:
2) Not possible to switch from Progressive to Analog (if using Component cables). :thumbsdown:
3) PAL Discs have screen compression leaving a black bar on the bottom of my screen. :thumbsdown:
4) No noticeable pixelation on my movies in analog mode. :emoji_thumbsup:
Bottom line - I'm returning my Cyberhome. While the price and features were nice, my main concern is the picture - which was noticeably better on the Daewoo.
Off my soapbox,

Baqur

Auditioning
I dont understand ....

I have just ordered the CH DVD 500 and I dont have a progressive scan TV...all I have is an ordinary Panasonic Flat Screen 27 inch TV.

So would I have to switch to analogue mode while viewing my dvds and would I then have the same "nasty pixelation problem".

Would appreciate input on this.

Should I then just cancel my order?

Because at the moment I am using a Pioneer player which is multi regional but doesnt convert PAL to NTSC and I just hook up the video and sound (red , white , blue ) cables to the TV's input sockets and watch the movies and the plan is to do the same with the CH DVD 500. So would I have the same pixelation problem??

William-R

Agent
i have a crapy Daewoo 5800

will the Philips 724 do a better job
with anamorphic PAL disks

or will this CH500 that you are talking about work

all i have is a crapy tv though will that matter??

Ronn.W

Second Unit
4) Noticed NASTY pixelation on my movies in analog mode.
Not to sound ignorant, but... what do you mean by 'analog mode?' There are no digital video outputs on the CH 500, how do you have it hooked up to your TV, and what kind of TV is it?

I've got mine hooked up via component to a new Sony Wega, and have not noticed any pixelation at all.

David L. Gold

Auditioning

Analog = Non-Progressive Scan

I have a 53" widescreen Pioneer HDTV monitor and viewed it in digital mode using component video, analog mode using component video and analog mode using S-video.

In all cases, the analog only streams showed MAJOR pixelation, which was not as noticable in digital mode.

Unfortunately, most of my R2 discs are 4:3, and need to be shown in analog mode to prevent either bigtime stretching out, or having the grey/black bars on the sides (as the Pioneer has a "Natural Wide" mode on my set which will do a gradual stretch to fill the screen - only in analog modes).

Also, due to the size/nature of my set, I'm able to see many imperfections that would not be seen on a typical set, so you're situation may not be as extreme.

Bob Hunzeker

Auditioning
Dave, what the hell are you talking about? the video outputs on your DVD player are all analog. I know of only 2 players with digital video output, a Pioneer with a firewire port and a Denon that uses a proprietary connection.

Bob.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Analog = Non-Progressive Scan
If you're inferring that PS is digital, you're mistaken. As Bob Hunzeker posted, all the video outputs on the DVD player are analog.

I haven't heard of the pixelation problem you're having with yours from other HDTV owners, perhaps it's a setting on the TV itself? Just a thought.

Drew Collins

Auditioning
Okay, I'm interested in trying out this CH 500, but all I have is a crappy, bought-cheap-at-Wal-Mart tv (which is hooked to my crappy Daewoo). Do I need to have any kind of fancy TV and/or connections in order to get the CH to work properly and to get a good picture? Or can I just hook it up and let her rip? I just want to watch my Region 2 dvds without the picture being stretched or squished. Thanks!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
OK fellas, so where can I find one of these Cyberhome players? I just found out about these. Am I too far behind the curve?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
newegg.com has them, may want to check Amazon too, as they had it at one time, I think one can also get it directly from Cyberhome's website/store. At this point, I believe the prices are all about the same, around $85 including shipping, no more rebates (that I know of).

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip. Amazon and every other major retailer/e-tailer were out of stock and didn't appear to be getting them in. Placed an order at newegg.com $83 shipped for the 500. Looking forward to region freedom!

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Does anyone know how to remedy the pitch control (PAL speedup) on the CH 500? Very noticable while playing reg. 2 Buffy sets.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You can't. It's a problem inherent with PAL

I recently saw the PAL DVD of Once More With Feeling, urrggh the pain of the chipmunking and off-temponess.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Hendrik, he asked if it could be helped, I answered him. You cannot deny that PAL is sped up 4%, and that while it may be invisible to you, it certainly is grating on both Daryl and my ears.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Jeff, I believed you mentioned earlier in another post that you have a Malata. Does it have a pal speedup problem when playing reg. 2 Buffys'?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks