1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Region Free Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dustin Bacon, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Dustin Bacon

Dustin Bacon Auditioning

I have taken the advice of some readers on a previous thread, and I have decided to buy a new Region-Free DVD player with PAL/NTSC support.
    Unfortunately, due to the Christmas season, I am on a bit of a budget. I did find the Cyberhome ch-dvd 402 dvd player at a reasonable price of 99 dollars.
    Now I have to ask: does anyone out there know if the PAL/NTSC conversion is any good here? Or will I have the same problem I had with the old Daewoo?
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum![​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You'll have the same issues as the old Daewoo at that price

Malata, JVC N520(or whatever the model # is) or an HTPC are the best options

3. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Are The Sampo Models Any Good?

4. Jeff Kleist

No

If you're paying less than about $2-250 for a PAL converting player, it's a piece of shit.

5. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Daryl:
    I recently purchased the Malata DVP-520 player from Next Best Thing Electronics (www.nbtelectronics.com) in Canada. Since the exchange rate is so good, I got the player, with shipping, for around ~$270 US. No major problems, only a few minor nitpicks. The PAL->NTSC conversion is excellent.
    John.

6. Daryl Stovall

Thanks. Does It Come With An Optical? Also What Were The Nitpicks?

7. Jeff Kleist

Yes, it has an optical and coax out

There are some incompatibilities with some discs, but they usually upgrade their firmware to fix it lickety split, and it's a matter of burning a CD and flicking a switch to upgrade

8. Daryl Stovall

I'm A Little Skittish Of Buying Electronics Online. Is It True That Online Purchases Comes Without Warranties?

9. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

Daryl:
    I've only had a problem with one disk, and that was the Momentum R2/PAL version of They Live. I'm pretty sure the disk was bad, since my other PAL disks play just fine. I'll know when my replacement arrives next week.
    As for nitpicks, I've only noticed a few:
    1) Some random pixelation every so often. This is the player, since it will happen at different spots on the same disk on different playings.
    2) The remote layout could be better. Much better. I've gotten used to it by now, but when I first got my player, I was rather dumbfounded by the layout of the buttons on the remote. For example, the 'pause' button is far away from the 'play' button.
    3) The manual is a little light, and doesn't tell you everything.
    As Jeff said, the firmware is easy to upgrade, although I've got the latest, so I haven't had to do that yet.
    As for warranties, it depends on where you get it from. Some places will have them, and some won't.
    John.

10. Jeff Kleist

Daryl, you don't have to capitalize every word [​IMG]
    No, that's not true at all. Some manufacturers say they'll only support purcheses from authorized dealers, but in reality it's never really been a problem

11. Daryl Stovall

Thanks

12. Jeff Mason

Jeff Mason Stunt Coordinator

Anyone looking to buy region free and wants to know how good the PAL to NTSC conversion will be should try to find out/ask what the chip inside is. I have a a Daewoo 9000N that I use as a second deck for the Macrovision free feature, but the PAL conversion stinks!

As far as I know, the Mediamatics chip is the least expensive chip that does a good PAL to NTSC conversion. This chip is found in all Malata and JVC players that you see around that are region free. If the deck is modded and has a Mediamatics chip, it should do a fine job with the conversion.

For the record, I have a Malata 996 and it does a very nice job on the conversion. Unlike the 520, I've been lucky and haven't seen any visual quirks or had any problems with the deck overheating (as with some 996s).

13. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Brought the cyberhome500 home tonight.Not too shabby actually and progressive scan too.EASY multi region hack.69.99 at BB $50 after $20 rebate.Good luck.

Luis S

14. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

And the CH 500 does do flawless PAL > NTSC anamorphic conversion. It uses a new Cirrus Logic chipset that is comparable to mediamatrics.

15. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

There seem to be a lot of people on the HTF who haven't even seen the Cyber Home and instantly debunk it because of the price.

As someone who has owned a Malata, Classic, and a Sampo, this is EASILY the best multi-region player I've seen for the price. The PAL conversion is SPOT-ON, the picture quality is comparable to my trusty old Panasonic, and it was a scant $69 at Best Buy (with an additional rebate of $20, no less!).

I feel bad for the people who spent over $200 on the Malata when this player does it all almost as well for a FRACTION of the price.

Don't let the low price keep you away -- DEFINITELY give it a shot. At that price you can't go wrong, and like I said, it's better than any multi-region player I've owned.

16. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Thats for damn sure Mike! I was COMPLETELY impressed with the Cyberhome! Absolutely wonderful picture and multiregion conversion. And heres another plus I discovered last night,NO NOTICEABLE LAYER CHANGE!!!! [​IMG] Amazing! How many players do that AND prog. scan? Only htpc's far as I know! this may very well become my main player if you can belive it.As Mike said dont let the price or cheesy name steer you away,this thing is a keeper!
    Luis S

17. Daryl Stovall

Does'nt Bestbuy only carry region one players? If so how Does one get it to play other regional dvd's?

18. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Its a "hackable" player Daryl [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Luis S

19. Amano Ai

Amano Ai Agent

There is something going on the top of the picture when viewing widescreen movies. Right under the letterbox bar on top. I had to return the 500 because of it.

20. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Luis and Mike. This thing is great. The hack is easy, the PAL to NTSC conversion is great, and the layer changes are smoother than my vegan macaroni and cheeze. I love this thing. It is my new main player. My Panny is going into the living room.