What's new

Region-Free player? (1 Viewer)

Rick_E

Agent
I'm going to be moving from the U.S. to Australia soon, and want to get a "region-free" player so I can play all my Region 1 discs there. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks!

Rick,

The Malata is fine if you are trying to play PAL discs into an NTSC-only TV, but outside the US most TVs take both PAL and NTSC inputs so the PAL-NTSC conversion is unnecessary. The moral seems to be, never export an American TV!

Another option to the Malata is to go to Australia via Hong Kong, and pick up a cheap DVD player here. Virtually all players are all-code, including ERC R1 discs, and most can now play MP3 discs as well as CD/VCD. By cheap, I mean from about US$50 upwards, so if you're worried about repairs etc., buy two. If you want surround sound amplifiers and speakers, they start at around US$150.

These are Chinese products; I understand that China now manufactures over half of the world's DVD players so they are getting quite good at it.

By the way, and in comment on another thread, most 'chipping' for all-region operation is now in software from a remote, and that is done here for free. Anyone who maintains the idea that a new ROM or similar is needed is probably talking about obsolete players or looking to make a few dollars at the retail end of the chain. So the advice is to find an honest retailer, before you buy and not after.

David

Jack Kelsey

Agent
DON'T bother buying anything in US to take to Australia!

When you get to Australia you will find that the place is CHOCK-FULL with just about everything that can be easily hacked to cover all regions!!

You will save a bundle and be free to buy almost anything. SONY will be the most difficult as they seem to be head of the 'region fascists.'

Jack Kelsey

Agent
Also always TRY to buy locally where you'll be using a unit. You'll get a better choice and 'thinking it over' possibilties when still in the buying process

- AND you will get a possibility for after-sales service - this is ESPECIALLY true for DVD's - which as a 'type of electronic equipment' has probably UNFORTUNATELY set all kinds of Guiness records for the MOST UNRELIABLE genre EVER placed on the Consumer Electronics market!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks