What's new

Region free player (1 Viewer)

Simon-d

Grip
can anyone point me in the right direction of reputable sites that sell this type of player?

I have some R2 discs but live in R1....need to play them :)

any recommendations on a player?

Thanks

Sy

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The LiteOn LVD-2002 (~$130) has a special menu that allows one to choose a specific region or choose region "0". It also has a menu to MacroVision on/off.

No hacks are needed nor does one need to 're-chip' the player. The special menu is accessable simply by punching in a combination of buttons on the remote.

Press Open/Close botton on the remote control.

Press [2]

Press [9]

Press [6]

Press [0]

An english only google search, will result in dozens of places that sell it.

Simon-d

Grip
thanks for the info...a ggogle search yielded tons on non-english sites but I found the info and then checked out ebay, there seems to be a lot on sale there. I don't know of any other web sites that are reputable and sell this player.

If anyone knows of a site please post.

cheers

Simon

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Kevin, you shouldn't be asking this question. Not allowed here.

To quote the Forum:

Note: Please, no discussions about copying video/audio sources, defeating copy-protection encoding, and obtaining illegal, bootlegged product. Thank you!

Simon-d

Grip
I picked up a Cyberhome 300 from Canadian Radio Shack
$69.99 + 19.99 for 3 year extended warranty. Player is now region free :)

works like a charm and very affordable. If it stops working in under 3 years Radio Shack take care of it and after 3 years I'll just buy another if it breaks.

later

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

He is not defeating it, as the discs are legal, and because they are FROM THE REGION and not being VIEWED BEFORE RELEASE IN THE REGION THAT THEY ARE BEING VIEWED IN (not that I care one bit), it is fine, IMO.

Did you get beat up in school a lot :D

The mods can nuke it if they see fit, but this isn't like asking, "How can I rip DVD's so I can copy them for my friends?"

Simon-d:

"I picked up a Cyberhome 300 from Canadian Radio Shack
$69.99 + 19.99 for 3 year extended warranty. Player is now region free

works like a charm and very affordable. If it stops working in under 3 years Radio Shack take care of it and after 3 years I'll just buy another if it breaks."

Is that 3 year extended warranty after the initial 1 year warranty or just from the time of your purchase 3 more year. Many of credit card will double your original warranty for up to a year, so you are paying $19.99 for that last one year. That is very expensive considering your DVD player is only $69.99. You have to becareful with some of extended warranty they offer since you are paying about 30% of your original purchase.

I don't understand your logic. Why do you want to pay $90 for a $70 player when you can just get a better $90 player?

Kenneth Harden:

Kevin Ford probably did ask something 'no no' and later he deleted out. However he did leave his fingerprint. Please see the previous post - post #7:

Last edited by KevinFord on November 29th, 2003 at 10:10 AM

Simon-d

Grip
This player doesn't even come with a 1 year warranty 90 days if I remember correctly.. so it's 3 years from the date of purchase.

Finding a region free player in Canada is a bit harder than in the states, and I didn't have the time to keep looking. Maybe there is a better player for $90 CDN out there but I'm happy with what I've got.

Simon

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
The Philips 727 progressive scan player is also a solid choice. It's available at amazon.com for $75 shipped. It also converts PAL to NTSC.

To make it region-free, press [9], [9], [9], [9], then [0] slowly via remote.

BobbyS

Grip
if i was you id go for a xbox + a modchip, there not that expensive, + u get a progressive scan dvd player, and u can play games

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks