1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Region free player help needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Dayton, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

I want to get a region free player with pal to ntsc conversion. The problem is that my TV is a Sony Wega FS line so it only supports 480i. The Philips 963 only does the pal conversion at 480p. The Malata and JVC use the Mediamatics chip that puts out a substandard interlaced output. So am I forced to get on these cheap players like the Cyberhome and Apex players ?

2. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

3. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

try a site called AREA450 its a sampo related site but it has a forum that can give you some leads.

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

honestly, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate between the interlaced output of a mediamatics-based JVC/Malata or any other current player in the $200 range. I compared my JVC SA600 to my parents' Panny RA60 (same as the RV-80, one of the best interlaced players ever, with dvd-audio) and there was minimal difference on their 30" toshiba tube.