Region Free JVC XV-SA600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Before I get hit with "use the search", I've been trying since last night, and I keep getting a message saying the search is shut off.

That said ---

I'm about to come into a bit of $ to replace my old Sony S3000 that, while it still works fine, is beginning to have problems playing some discs (Jonah was the final straw....)

I've been looking for a NICE not CHEAP player that's DTS, region free, converts PAL to NTSC, and of very good quality. I keep coming back to the JVC XV-SA600.

Does anyone one own this deck? Or are there any others that I should look at? I want to spend between $250-$325.

2. Gary_Z

Gary_Z Auditioning

The new Philips 963SA is available for $399 (I just bought one from J and R) and is easily hackable to be regionfree. It is also an excellent Progressive Scan unit, which also plays SACD's. Its a universal player which from what I have read has much superior electronics than the JVC600 for just a little more $$.

3. Honza

Honza Auditioning

I am shopping for a DVD player with the same specs (region free, DTS, built in PAL->NTSC converter).

XV-SA600 indeed seems like a decent choice (world-import.com lists it for $279). I also found a JVC SV-SA600 on the web. Anyone knows how it differs from XV ?

Finally, someone on ebay sells Panasonic RP-82 with region-free modification for $299. This player would require additional video converter to play PAL dvds on a NTSC TV. And caution advised, as it is ebay, of course.

Are there other good players besides the JVC (and Philips)?

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

My friend just got a region-free JVC's XV-S500BK and is very happy with it. I would assume XV-SA600 would not be any worse.

5. MickB

MickB Agent

I have the SA600 and I am very happy with it. It seems the 963SA has problems. The problems are reported over at AVS form. It is a long thread.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW