Region Free DVD Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Kaufmann, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I'm kind of curious, I currently have a Panasonic A120 dvd player. On rare occasion I would like to play DVD's that are not Region 1 but of course my A120 won't allow this. 2 questions, anyone know of a way to convert my A120 or can anyone suggest other DVD players that are Region free?
    Thx.
    ------------------
    R. Kaufmann
    My DVD Profiler Collection

2. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

I haven't heard of any modifications for your player. At one point I had a Panasonic A110 that I thought about getting converted but couldn't find a way.
    The regionfree hot player right now is the Malata DVD-N996. Depending on which version you want, it runs $290 or $340 with overnight shipping from avdeals.com. It's the player of choice for most people because besides being regionfree it does nearly perfect PAL to NTSC conversion. It's similar to the Panasonic RP91 with the bonuses of playing all regions and converting PAL discs. Do a search for Malata and you'll get detailed information. My Malata is currently in the clutches of UPS and I should have it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be in one piece.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The above-mentioned brand is probably one of the better made region free players....but there are others that make region free players.
    For a good bit cheaper you can check out the Apex player....I think the model # was 600A. It's discontinued, but you can still find units on ebay for pretty cheap.
    Sampo also makes a region free player. Can't remember the model #.....I think it's 620 or 630....something like that. It seems like it was recently discontinued, but I've seen e-tailers with left over stock and ebay is another good source.
    If you do a search for "code free dvd" on most any search engine, you'll get hits for 4 or 5 sites that specialize in this. They sell units that are made region free by the manufacturer as well as modified units.
    You can get Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC, Panny....pretty much any model you can think of that's been modified.
    Of course these are a little more expensive than stock units, but you can usually find one that's in the $200 - $300 range.
    BTW, a few of the sites are.....
    www.dvdoverseas.com
    www.220-electronics.com
    www.zonefreedvd.com
    www.mindlogic.com

4. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator