What's new

Region free dvd players - need advice (1 Viewer)

peter_i

Second Unit
A friend of mine has just come here to visit from Brazil and he was interested in buying a region free dvd player. Can anyone recommend a good one available here in Canada, preferably Toronto? If not, than any recommendations would help.
thanks!

Mark_Sk

Auditioning
The Malata is generally recognized as the best as it does PAL/NTSC conversion. It is available in Canada from on-line stores (Next Bith Thing Electronics have them)

I get my Malata 520 this week hopefully as I have a lot of PAL discs from UK and Australia.

Mark_Sk

Auditioning
Ah yeah, forgot that Brazil is not normal PAL! Would have to check about conversion of discs from there.

Unless you have multi-standard TV and then you would just need any M/R DVD player of which there is a larger variety.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Brazil is PAL-M. I'm pretty sure - but not 100% - that the Malata 520 will handle this.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Apex 1100W (those WalMart specials for Cdn$129/US$80) can be made multiregion with anti-RCE. Make sure you buy the 1Mb version of the unit, burn the hack firmware (easily obtainable, but I won't post a link). It outputs PAL and NTSC but NO conversion.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
It outputs PAL and NTSC but NO conversion.
If I pop in a PAL DVD with this player with my NTSC TV, what happens?

Do I get a watchable picture in pal mode vs ntsc mode?

Just curious. I might pick up some PAL DVDs just for the extras... so I'm not worried about PQ as much as usual.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I don't have a multisystem TV nor PAL disc, but there are two versions of this DVD player that I know of. One version you need to go to the menu and change the TV type (PAL/NTSC) and the version I own has auto select (PAL DVD will automatically output PAL, NTSC will automatically output NTSC without the need for switching)

Mark_Sk

Auditioning
If I pop in a PAL DVD with this player with my NTSC TV, what happens?
Probably an unwatchable image! They run with different number of lines (PAL has more) and frequency (NTSC=60Hz, PAL=50Hz) and color encoding! So in a nutshell it wont work!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks