What's new

Region codes and PAL/NTSC (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

Help.

Okay, I've heard lots of theories on this issue, but it seems like they're often in complete conflict with each other. I'm looking to solve this mystery once and for all.

I'm a fan of many Australian bands, and one of my favorites, Split Enz, just released a DVD, which is, of course, not available in the US.

I believe that the Enz DVD is Region 0. However, it is also PAL.

Can I play it on my Toshiba 3109 DVD player and Misubishi 46" 16x9 digital TV?

Also, I've heard that DVD-ROM players will play a DVD regardless of its Region code and it's national origin. Is this true? Would my DVD-ROM drive play an Australian/PAL DVD?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Regards,
mattl

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

You can only play it on your Toshiba if it does PAL->NTSC conversion. Most DVD-ROM drives will not play any region code. Usually, most of the software will require you to choose a region code the first time you use it. Drives can be modified, but that's not something for a beginner to do. DVD-ROMs will play PAL disks, since your computer doesn't know about PAL or NTSC; it only knows about pixels.

John.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it, because I am obviously clueless in this regard!

No one has mentioned my TV. If my DVD player will play a PAL DVD, then will my TV receive the PAL signal from the DVD? I'm confused about this because I've heard on one hand that both the DVD player AND the TV have to be PAL-compatible, and on the other hand, I've heard that only the DVD player is an issue, not the TV.

Again, thanks for your help.

mattl

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Matt,

If you have a player that does PAL->NTSC conversion, your standard TV can handle it.
But if you have a player that plays PAL, but it's also PAL coming out, then you have a problem.

Most European TV sets can play NTSC as well (the synchronization to NTSC is simpler for a primarily PAL machine than the other way around). Most American sets won't play PAL.

Cees

There are a few cheaper European TVs (well, here in the UK) that don't support NTSC, but pretty much all at least will support PAL 60, which is PAL at 60hz, and is what most DVD players are set to convert NTSC to by default (well, from what I've seen).

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Just a side note. :) Split enz are a New Zealand band. Although we would like to claim them as our own.

Regards

AXE

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony---

Good point, and it was actually one I knew. It's true---Split Ends, later to rename themselves Split Enz, began in New Zealand. But the group achieved its greatest success only after moving to Australia, and it included at least one Australian [Paul Hester] as well as a couple of Englishmen. Maybe that's incorrect, but I don't think so. I'll have to pull out my copy of their bio book, STRANGER THAN FICTION, to check myself. But, regardless, you're right. Technically, they started as a New Zealand band, and most of the members were/are indeed Kiwis.

By the way, the DVD has been getting rave reviews. It includes a number of their groundbreaking music videos, the excellent documentary SPELLBOUND [hosted by New Zealand film star Sam Neill], a number of television appearances, a handful of live clips, and several easter eggs.

mattl

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Matt,
It looks as if you know a fair bit more than me :) I am a fan of there work,( not a huge fan ) having grown up with a few of there popular tunes. I might have to pick this DVD up.

I guess it goes without saying that you are also a Crowded house Fan.

Regards

Anthony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks