What's new

Region 4 Playability (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
If I have a region-free DVD player (in the U.S.) will I be able to play Region 4 DVDs, even if my TV is not multi-standard? Pardon my ignorance, but I know nothing about any of this as I've just started researching into possibly "modding" my player (ever since I discovered that the region 4 version of 'Pulp Fiction' is 16:9 enhanced).

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
It depends Scott, R4 is pal, same as R2. You'll need either a player that converts ntsc to pal or the multi-standard tv.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
You will most likely need to buy a region-free player; all the region-free players sold in Canada/USA convert PAL to NTSC so a Multi-Standard TV is not needed. Most R1 DVD players sold in Canada/USA are NTSC only, but not all, many of the lesser known brands and some of the well know brands are multi-standard, Apex comes to mind so that it can be sold in all markets. Most if not all R2 players are multi since Japan is R2 NTSC and Europe is R2 PAL so players for the R2 market needs to play both.

kd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks