Region 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian La, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Brian La

Brian La Auditioning

Does anyone know why, copyrights in certain parts of the world?, films like BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN, Mae West's rather rare THE HEAT'S ON, Cukor's HOLIDAY and others are released in England but not here? They are more interesting titles including FIVE FINGERS, WILD RIVER and others. thank you.

2. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos Stunt Coordinator

Miguel M Santos
    It's just a question of the distributor's policy. In the case of Five Fingers and Wild River these titles have been licensed from Fox to other companies and they have decided to release them. In the UK is Optimum (although Second Sight has released a few others), in France mostly Carlotta. The other titles you mention, which will certain get to R1 sooner or later as they are part of either Columbia or Universal catalogues.

But on the other hand think of how many titles are released in the US that never cross the Atlantic or cross it in a handicaped version.

3. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

A multi-region DVD player that does proper PAL-to-NTSC conversion is your friend. I'm sure someone can point you to a very affordable device that will allow you to enjoy these and other films from around the world. There's no reason to be region-locked.

4. Irina

Irina Second Unit

I could not find the UK DVD edition of 'BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN'. Do you have a link?

5. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Irina, it'll be released in two weeks or so as part of a Barbara Stanwyck collection. Link

6. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos Stunt Coordinator

Miguel M Santos
    Irina,

THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN is part of the Barbara Stanwyck Screen goddesses boxset along with DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE LADY EVE, THE GOLDEN BOY, ALL I DESIRE and THE MIRACLE WOMAN. I think it comes out in the UK on October 17, but I am talking from memory.

7. Irina

Irina Second Unit

Marco and Miguel,
    Thank you for the information. I will be looking forward to this release. I just wish that the individual titles were available for sale and some titles that are already available (Double Indemnity and Lady Eve) were not included. Great set regardless of these minor complaints.

8. andrew markworthy

They are also released in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man, The Channel Islands ...

9. Irina

Irina Second Unit

Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to let you know that I have received the Barbara Stanwyck - Screen Goddess Collection. I was thrilled to watch 'The Bitter Tea of General Yen'. It's fantastic and has not lost its appeal since it was made more that 70 years ago. 'The Miracle Woman' is another strong Capra movie. These thow movies alone would make this purchase worthwhile. One thing that I found ridiculous was the set packaging. It's H-U-G-E. The box accomodates three layers of two DVDs each. Just imagine... I do not have that much free space to display it. I simply tossed the box away and put the DVDs along with the rest of my collection.