1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Region 2 Superbit DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorge O'Neill, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Jorge O'Neill

Jorge O'Neill Auditioning

Will superbit DVDs ever be available for region 2? The logic behind superbit makes perfect sense to me. Superbit DVDs will sacrifice all the extra features in order to save space for the best possible audio and video quality. They will also have both DD and DTS tracks.
    Any info, reviews, etc?

2. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about any plans for "Superbit" on Region 2, but I have some reservations about the format.
    If a company really wanted to present a movie in the best possible way, shouldn't it issue separate DD and DTS editions to allow room for higher bit-rate sound? After all, the R1 Superbit DVDs will only have half-speed DTS, and I'm sure that the DD will not be encoded at the highest possible rate.
    Also why can't extras be included on a second disc, as per many of the Special Editions now being released?
    I suspect that the studio already intends to wait two years before re-re-releasing CTHD as a 2-Disc SE with full bit-rate DTS-ES, tempting many to purchase their third DVD of the same title.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Columbia TriStar's SuperBit releases all use Dolby Digital's maximum bit-rate on DVD (448kbps).
    I wouldn't look for many (any, perhaps) 1509kbps DTS releases in the future. As far as I can tell, its use on theatrical release DVD titles has come to an end.
    Adam

4. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

Full bitrate DTS might be dead In North America but Japan is a different story. Recent releases such as "The 6th Day" and "The Cell" have included 1509kbps DTS tracks.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

While I also agree it makes sense to put the extras on a second disc, there is also commentaries to remember. I have no idea how much extra space they need to a commentary or two, but since at least one commentary is more or less expected of a SE, it would at least use some space.
    Also, many people seem to object to having a second disc, since they don't care about it, and argue that the price will be higher. I do not really know how true this is, I must also admit I do not really pay close attention to how much I pay per DVD as long as it cost at least below 22-23USD online, so I haven't really compared, but it seems to me the price doesn't really vary all that much.
    ------------------
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List