Region 2 editions of "They Live", "Prince Of Darkness" and "The Changeling&

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I just ordered them today. The street date is next monday, but I guess that www.play247.com got them on pre-sale.
    Only £11.99/$18.64 each.
    I've heard nothing but good things about the transfers and commentaries. [​IMG]
    They should be in my sweaty palms by thursday morning, and I'll be sure to type some more gibberish about them. :wink:
    Hope region 1 gets editions of these movies like these soon. Heck, now that They Live and Prince Of Darkness are more or less in the bag, that means I'm only waiting on the SEs of Escape From New York and Dark Star to complete by "Best Of John Carpenter" collection! Wouldn't mind a DVD edition of Elvis either come to think of it. [​IMG]
    Oh, and there's the remaster/SE of Assault too next year, eh?! Hmmm... great! [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading,
    Gordy (apprentice Carpenter :wink: )

2. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

Hey what about Memoirs Of An Invisible Man![​IMG]
    Can't wait to get my paws on these but I'm going to have to wait till next week. They Live is one of my fav Carpenter movies and I've never actually seen all of Prince Of Darkness.
    Richard
    PS
    Don't forget that the Hong Kong Legends version of The Killer is out next week as well and it should be, um, killer![​IMG]

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yeah, I was discussing Memoirs with a fellow Carpenter geek last week, and we found ourselves in agreement of it being a underrated movie. It's a lot better than most critics say.
    It'll be great to finally see They Live and POD in thier original Panavision aspect ratios. POD always suffered on TV and VHS, I feel. That's maybe why the film itself is so maligned. I haven't seen either film in over 6 years, so it will be interesting to revist them.
    The Changeling DVD will be great purchase too, I feel. [​IMG]
    I hope the transfer of The Killer is the best yet. It has, in my opinion, never looked as good as should on any homevideo format or TV, even the Criterion edition wasn't perfect - and that's saying something for a film just over 10 years old. [​IMG]
    Can't wait to get these! And there's more to order:
    Hammer Collection: Curse Of Frank / Dracula / Mummy
    Mothman Prophecies

Must get series 1 & 2 of The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin. Great series. "Grot" - the shop that sells rubbish! Rubber razor blades for the nervous shaver! [​IMG]
    Great stuff!
    Gordy

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

hi Gordy
    can't wait for They Live to arrive at my doorstep. Piper is the best wrestler to star in a movie. Very dark as well
    Meg Fosters looks awesome
    [​IMG]

5. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I would love to get my hands on that They Live SE, but since I already have the decent looking anamorphic 2.35:1 Image disc, I am somewhat already satisfied. At least I have a good looking 16x9 version... Hopefully the SE will get ported to Region 1 someday...

6. John Kwong

John Kwong Stunt Coordinator

The Changeling is one of my alltime favorites. Does anyone know if there is any real difference between the Region 1 and Region 2 discs?

7. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Is the "They Live" region 1 OOP?

Thanks
    R~

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

In reply to John Kwong:
    Region 1: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...e=1&rid=222089
    Region 2: http://www2.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?s...articleId=4812
    It's hard to tell if the transfer for this new region 2 edition was made from the same videomaster as the region 1 edition, huh? Hmmm... When I see it for myself, I'll give my assessment of it. But, seeing as you get Peter Medak's commentary, I'll stick my neck out and say that this edition is superior. The transfer sounds very good and you get a great commentary from the great Hungarian himself! [​IMG]
    As soon as I get the DVDs, I'll say give my humble but honest opinions on them. [​IMG]
    Gordy

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

For those in the UK that are really desperate, They Live is sitting on the 'DVDs to buy' shelf at Blockbuster right now; apparently they had a week's exclusive on it.

11. Jeff Gibbons

Jeff Gibbons Agent

Medak's commentary on The Changeling?!?

I would LOVE to hear that. One of my favorite movies, I agree with you on that John Kwong. Too bad it's R2 only.

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

hi guys
    my copy of They Live arrived today, beauty to watch
    [​IMG]

13. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I already have the Image They Live release but I may have to spring for the R2. I really want the commentary.