1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Region 2 DVD extras won't play.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JamesSmith, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Dear Guys:

I have a Region 2 Blu Ray of Quatermass and the Pit. I can get the movie to play on both my region free player and may IMAC, but I can't locate the extras that are mentioned on the back label. Can anybody give me any hints on how to get the extras to play. Any hints would be appreciated.

James

2. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Hi James,
    I have had many similar experiences whereby the extras listed on the sleeve are nowhere to be seen-even on the disc's 'on screen' menu. Just fast forward to the end of the film and you should see the extras menu come up AFTER the end of the film's credits.That ALWAYS works for me. The only other scenario is that not all countries have the extras on the disc. If your disc is from Asia (especially China) there may not be any extras at all. Quatermass and the Pit is a great sci-fi film.I saw it many times where I worked upon it's original release. You should see the extras emerge after the end of the film. Unfortunately it is a common problem that can be frustrating. Let me know how you go.

Robin9 likes this.
  3. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    It's possible the extras are in PAL. Can your player and/or display handle the PAL format? If not, you won't be able to see them.

4. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I don't know. How could I find out if my region free player can handle the PAL format?

James

5. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    If you don't have any PAL discs handy, the easiest thing would be to enter your player's make and model number into Google and see what comes up. It could also be that the player will output PAL and 1080i/50 signals without conversion, in which case it's the display that can't accommodate the signal.

According to the DVD Beaver reivew, the UK blu of Quatermass has extras in 1080i, which almost certainly means they're 1080i/50, basically HD-PAL.

6. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Well, both blue ray players can play the movie. But it's the extras that's the issue. They're mentioned on the back of the box, but not the Blu Ray and accompanying DVD. Is is possible the extras were on a third disc that wasn't included.

James

7. Message #7 of 13 Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm unaware of any Region free player that wouldn't be able to handle SD PAL or 1080/50Hz material.

Is your disc the regular UK release that had the BD+DVD package or did you get just the BD or a different country? I'll assume it's not a BD-R with a black data surface. If you can choose the extras and then the disc stops playing, it might be that your monitor can't handle 50Hz material or your player can't or isn't set-up to convert to 60hz. The movie is 1080p/24 so there wouldn't be a problem. Most computer monitors and players handle multi-freq without an issue though so I would assume your IMAC should play it without a peep.

My OPPO plays the UK bluray without a problem. From the main menu has an Extras button at the bottom and then multiple choices given once you click including the World of Hammer episode and interviews along with the trailer.

JamesSmith likes this.
  8. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

At the bottom. I'll check into that.

James

9. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

OK. I went into audio on the menu, and I was able to get the commentary track to run, but so far nothing else on the extras. Tried monkeying with various video controls but nothing happened. Still didn't see the extras button at the bottom. Well keep trying today.

James

Still open to more suggestions.

10. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Did get to the end of the film, didn't see the extras menu. Thanks
    James

11. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Strange . With me (when I had this problem), the extras always started immediately after the end of the credits. My player is both pal and ntsc,It switches from one to the other automatically but I have to sometimes have to change the 4 digit code to change the region/zone.Best bet is to contact the distributor as it could be a flaw in the disc. You could also return the disc to the shop and see if it works on their players. Which country did the disc originate from? That could also be the reason as to why the extras are listed on the sleeve but are not o the disc. In the past I have had videos that were blank (zero movie) and the same with dvds on rare occasions. It must be very frustrating for you.Depending on your remote control,you may be able to also check the disc's sections on your screen.This is separate from the menu. It is possible that you can scroll down to the next section and the extras will come up. I forgot how to do this as it hasn't been a problem for me in a long time. Anyway I have always eventually been able to see the extras regardless of whether they were pal or ntsc.That should not be the problem.If the main film is playable the the extras will be also. Try playing the disc on your computer if possible.This should tell you if there are any extras on the disc. If the extras are on one disc when being burn't ,then they would be on every disc. The distributor is the best person to ask.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

When you put the disc in and the Main Menu pops up, what choices do you get? Or if you press Top Menu (or equivalent) on your player. When the credits end, it sends me back to the main menu

The Uk Disc show a rotating series of drawn pictures with name of movie and Choice at the Bottom: Play Film, Scene Selection, Extras, Set-Up.

On your IMAC maybe you can open the Files on the Disc and see what's listed under the BDMV/Stream files -- it's possible you could get it to run by directly opening the 0000.mt2ts files -- my files structure shows 18 mt2ts files.

I'm not sure if the IMAC can run a program like bdinfo to at least see what's included on the disc

13. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Thanks for all the help people. I finally found the extras, they were under the "other titles" selection, and there was no mention which "title" had which extra. I just had to take the best guest. I am grateful that I finally got to see the extras. It was interesting to note how beloved a film Quatermass and the Pit was. So many interesting opinions.

Thank you for all your help guys. I was concerned that the extras just weren't on the discs, but they were there. Just under a second "audio" selection and "other titles." Who knew the extras would be under where I thought there were be trailers for other films.

James