What's new

Region 1 vs Region 2 picture problem (1 Viewer)

Phil_uk

Auditioning
Hello all, this is my first post here even though ive been into home theatre and hifi for many years.
Ive got a problem! i live in the UK and buy a mixture of R1 and R2 discs, ive noticed a difference recently in the picture quality between the two regions. Region 1's seem to have a soft picture, which ive never noticed before, compared to R2 which are stunning.
Im not saying one region is better than the other, my question is....Why is this?
The TV has been upgraded to a 32" widesceen JVC (model no. AV-32WFT1EKS) could it be that this TV isnt handling NTSC signals aswell as my other TV sets?
both the tv and dvd player are set to "auto" to recognise the different signals, manualy changing this makes no difference.
any thoughts or ideas?
current set up:
JVC 32" widescreen (AV-32WFT1EKS InteriArt)
Pioneer 636D dvd (Techtronics edition)
Yamaha A1 amp
B&W speaker setup
sorry its a bit long!
Cheers :)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Two things off the top of my head:

1. It could be the PAL / NTSC conversion. NTSC uses less lines of resolution than PAL does, which seems like it might give a less sharper picture than you are used to.

2. The quality of the DVD itself. There are definitely quality differences on some R1 and R2 discs, this could be what you are seeing.

If the difference is noticeable on all R1 discs, I'd say #1 is the likely culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks