Region 1 RCE discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dcaconnolly, Feb 28, 2002.

1. dcaconnolly

dcaconnolly Extra

Since America's Sweethearts and A Knight's Tale, I haven't come across any Region 1 RCE discs (mainly Colombia Tristar) which won't play on old all-code players but which the new Asian all-code players can handle. Have Columbia finally given up this RCE nonsense, which just stops them selling their R1 discs outside the US?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I believe that they might have, seeing that all it's done is cause compatibility problems, and hasn't stopped anyone in the slightest [​IMG]

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The Glass House released by Columbia at the start of this year has RCE.

They are still using it on titles which are released a long time before the European R2 release.

I expect the release this week of The One will also be RCE as not yet released in UK cinemas. Will check next week after I have watched A.I.

It is also a joke that Columbia still use RCE especially as Sony their parent, now releases DVD players in the UK which have RCE compliant firmware, so will play the disks after the new complex remote hack, no need to chip.

My older Sony just needs to be switched to R1 only and plays fine. Therefore only causes a problem with older players, new multiregion non-mainstream players are now built to circumvent it. So why bother ?

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

5. dcaconnolly

dcaconnolly Extra

Ted,

I'm not sure about the UK, but you can now buy machines here in Hong Kong which will play all codes including RCE without any remote hacking, including mainstream brands such as Pioneer and Sony. Because we sit in the middle of Regions 1 and 3 (and 6), everything here is all code. It's only the older players that won't play RCE discs. And the new Chinese models will do all this, plus MP3 CDs for under $100!

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Ted,
    I have just bought the Sony F21 as a second player and it is possible to do this. Also works on all the new x00 series players now on sale in UK (except those with included speakers). The code however is hundreds of characters long some non-standard and you need a remote / palm pilot which can send these. Some retailers in the UK will do this free when you buy the player from them. Also you can get it done stand alone at a cost of around £50 ($75), cost is high as they don't get the profit from the sale of the player. Because companies are selling the service the codes are not easy to find one place I found is
    http://groups.google.com/groups?star...g.google .com
    No guarantees this is the actual code as my retailer did mine and they are all keeping it secret in the Uk probably to discourage people doing it themselves.
    RCE compatibility depend upon the firmware, the new version from late Jan allows RCE playing after the codes sent earlier versions do not.
    I had heard Sony are doing this as losing so much market share in the UK to players which you make multiregion with just a few clicks of the supplied remote.
    Malcolm

7. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Multi-region players that play RCE discs are easily available in Tokyo. One JVC model even has PAL/NTSC conversion buily-in.

8. Jeff Kleist

dcaconnolly :

Those players are either being sold pre-chipped, or they are supposed to go to New Zealand where region coding is illegal (Australia soon to follow on that!)

9. dcaconnolly

dcaconnolly Extra

Jeff,

All the players here have the Region 3 mark on the back, as they should have. But chipping in hardware/firmware seems to have given way to commands on the remote, so when you buy a machine here you will find that it has already been 'all-coded'. Indeed, if the packaging HASN'T been opened then it will be stuck on Region 3. But since R1, R2/4 and R3 discs are widely available in all major outlets, the hardware stores provide the modification as standard to avoid customer complaints and, as far as I can tell, at no extra charge. The RCE over-ride is the latest 'normal' feature along with MP3 CD playback.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

>they are supposed to go to New Zealand where region coding is illegal

Jeff, I've never heard that. Do you have a link to anything that describes this law?

Thanks

11. dcaconnolly

dcaconnolly Extra

Malcolm,

Jet Li/The One has been available in Region 3 for a few weeks. So if the R1 version has RCE, go for the R3!

12. Jeff Kleist

I don't have a link to the NZ aspect right now, but just search CNN for Australia and DVD, their current cases will pop up.

13. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Region coding isn't illegal in New Zealand. Every mainstream disc is coded as Region 4 or Region 4/2. Most DVD players from chain stores come zoned as R4-only, although multi-region players are easly available.

We recently had a great deal of fun and games here with RCE. Columbia TriStar New Zealand decided not to import the R4 version of Final Fantasy into New Zealand. Instead, they imported the RCE R1 version figuring that although NZ is R4, most players would be multi-region, (bear in mind that all Sony players were R4-only on the shop floor). I'm sure you can guess what happened.

What CTS didn't realise is that most Toshibas and Sonys that have been modified here aren't compatible with RCE discs (and there are still a lot of players that haven't been modified). Sony will only honour their manufacturer warranty if a player is modified by a particular company here, but this company's modification isn't fully RCE-compatible, and the mod that is RCE-compatible isn't supported and voids the player's warranty.

So, discs brought in by Columbia TriStar (Sony) and sold through Sony Stores won't even play on the Sony DVD players sold at the same store. Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Imagine buying a DVD player and a DVD manufactured by the same company from the same (Sony) store, but discovering the disc wouldn't play. That's exactly what happened.

As a result of these compatibility problems, stores all over NZ are full of copies of Final Fantasy they can't sell, and CTS refuse to bring in the R4 copies until the R1s have gone.

The sheer stupidity of this fiasco is amazing.

Adam